level mystery

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:02:55 -0500, Silvan

Make a water level. Clear hosepipe, duct tape and a squeeze bottle of water with a drop of dye in it. Take you 10 minutes, guaranteed accurate.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:34:55 +0000, Andy Dingley

TWS

Always turn the level end-for-end to make sure that the level itself isn't crooked. If it shows up as level one direction, but when you swap ends shows as not level, then the measurement tool is what is technically known as "crap".
Do you know anyone with a machinists level?
Silvan Wrote:

A straight edge works great for checking flushness with the main table If you want to check for level as with respect to gravity, set ballbearing on the table and see which way it rools
-- stifler
The way you check a level for accuracy is to place it on a fairly level surface ( level not being critical) and check where the bubble sets. Turn the level around (180 degrees) and check it again. IF the bubble is in a different place the level is not accurate. This happens all the time. max

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:02:55 -0500, Silvan

Interesting use of language.

OK.
Why? It was an alignment problem, not a level problem.
I realize that you are a linguist, rather than a logician, but does the concept of "category error" have any resonance at all?
You are using a verb to solve a noun problem.
watson - who likes to solve noun problems with nouns.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:35:38 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson

He wasn't a very cunning linguist in this case, was he?

So should the poor boy be deverbed or denounsed? Don't just point out the problem, supply a solution, please.
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:08:02 -0800, that artful codger Larry Jaques

OK. I'd start with Wittgenstein but then move forward in time a bit to Foucault (not the pendulum dude, the other dude) then go backwards to Russell, Kant, and Descartes.
Steer betweeen the Scylla of Phenomenology and the Charybdis of Dialectical Materialism.
Follow this line through Aquinas, thence to Aristotle, and at this point you should be able to figure out which tool to use to deal with your alignment problem.
OBWW: You can't make Logic without a Log.

Oh WTF! Just expose him to Korzybski and be done with it.
--RC
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:08:02 -0800, Larry Jaques

Cute.
GregP wrote:

I've proven that I wasn't a very cunning linguist in this case for sure. It took reading that a dozen times to get the joke. Duh.
Well, for the record, I AM a cunning linguist, dammit. Just ask SWMBO. ;)
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:33:26 -0500, Silvan

How is SWMBO doing ? I assume that she's home & back in charge.
GregP wrote:

She made an official proclamation that "swim-bo" was back on the job about two weeks ago, I guess. She gets the rest of the tubes out in two weeks. She's back at work. Worked part time last week. Back at work full-time as of today. She's doing pretty well. Getting to gossip with all her she-buddies about all the juicy gossipy hoosabludgja has done wonders for her.
Tom Watson wrote:

True, but if I could establish the level of the main body of the saw in a sufficiently precise way, and then compare the level of the wing in a similarly precise way, I could gauge how much the two planes diverge from each other. It seems a reasonable enough theory; I just don't have anything to measure levelness with sufficient precision to produce any useful information.
I guess I need to come up with a really straight straight edge that doesn't flex, and some feeler gauges. Neither of which I have, or I would have done it that way already.
On Friday 28 Jan 2005 7:04 am, Silvan scribbled:

Make your own straightedges like I did. See
http://home.comcast.net/~jaswensen/machines/straight_edge/straight_edge.html
--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Good link! Thanks, TWS

You'll be using a jointed edge to reference your cuts, use one now.
Hi Silvan,
I set up my new (1 month old) TS to what I think is almost perfection without picking up any one of my half-dozen levels.
Don't care much if it's level (as long as the boards don't slide off!).
It's pretty damn flat tho.
Lou