Letter To Grizzly

Page 1 of 2
I emailed this to their customer service dept. --------------------------------------------------------- The week of Christmas 2003 I ordered the following on separate days:
G0500 8" x 75" Jointer with 4 Blade Cutterhead G1029 2 H.P. Dust Collector G1023SLX 10" Left Tilting Saw with 7' Rails and Extension Table
All three had problems and needed the following:
G1029: Box was damaged and needed a replacement of the base plate This caused a delay in building the unit and using it.
G1023SLX: Boxes were damaged and needed a replacement of the extension table and I had to go to Lowes and buy more bolts to put the thing together. This caused a delay in building the unit and using it.
G0500: Ordered it, the shipping company lost it and I had to have a replacement shipped. Box & crate were damaged. The extension to the in feed and out feed were bad casts, had new ones shipped to me, the in feed of that replacement is bad and now I have to wait weeks for a replacement. The blades were dull and I now I have to wait weeks for those as well. This is still causing a delay in building the unit and using it.
Three orders and all three with problems. I don't know about you, but I would call that pretty piss poor shipping and quality control.
Now $2200 is a huge purchase for me and the next time I buy any woodworking machinery, I'll shop Delta or Jet. I've never had issues with them! Also, I've turned several people on to you and your company, not anymore. Now when people ask what I think of Grizzly, I'll have this story to share!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Just curious as to why, after having no issues with Delta or Jet, you decided to go Grizzly???
TomL
Add pictures here
βœ–
Just Dave wrote:

<snipped>
From Grizzly's web site:
"What is F.O.B.? F.O.B. stands for "Free On Board" and is usually applied to items that are too heavy to ship via UPS. "Free On Board" means that we are responsible for putting the freight on the truck.
It looks like you complaint should be directed to the trucking company.
βœ–
Nova wrote:

That would be so if the buyer selected the freight company and paid that bill direct to them but if I'm not mistaken the buyer's contract was with Griz-a-lee and Griz-a-lee alone.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

There are two types of "FOB", "Origin" and "Destination". They are defined as follows as extracted from Roadway Express's web site ( http://www.roadway.com/shippers/glossary.html ):
F.O.B Origin - “F.O.B. Origin” means that title and risk pass to the buyer at the moment of the seller's delivery to the carrier. The parties may agree to have title and risk pass at a different time or to allocate freight charges by a written agreement.
F.O.B. Destination - “F.O.B. Destination” changes the location where title and risk pass. Under this arrangement, title and risk remain with the seller until they have delivered the freight to the delivery location specified in the contract.
By the wording on Grizzly's web site, "we are responsible for putting the freight on the truck", I'd say they're shipping "F.O.B Origin".
βœ–
Nova wrote:

So you're thinking that I'd have to arrange my own trucking?
I'm thinking maybe the Web page was written by the same putz that's doing Woodcraft's catalog copy or this is a way to side step some liability?
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I tried that route and Grizzly wouldn't allow it. See my earlier response to Larry's post.
I ended up driving down to Williamsport, PA and picking the saw up myself.

They're not very clear, but when they're shipping a 500 pound piece of equipment for under $50, if the item is damaged in shipping, I'm guess'n they figure it's up to the buyer to file the claim against the shipper.
βœ–
brought forth from the murky depths:

I thought he meant that he wanted to suggest the trucking firm to Griz at their discount shipping fees. I didn't know that they excluded other trucks from picking up at their docks. Suckage!
---------------------------------------------------------------- "Let's sing praise to Aphrodite || www.diversify.com She may seem a little flighty, || Full Service Websites but she wears a green gauze nighty, || PHP Applications And she's good enough for me." || SQL Database Development
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nova wrote: mucho snippage...
OK, if I have this straight this is the way it lays out.
I pay money to Grizzly for the freight, yes?
Grizzly arranges freight, yes?
Grizzly loads the item onto the truck, yes?
If the three answers were yes and add up to yes then the letter needed to go to Grizzly.
As for the freight claim, if it's Grizzly's policy to have the consignee file it then so be it but the letter still needed to go to Grizzly. It should have been addressed to, "The Pant Load In Charge Of Losing Business".
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
@wi.rr.com says...

Yahhbut Keeter, you forgot one key item - Grizzly arranges the freight at substantially reduced rates. They have a disclaimer on their site that explains the relationship.
Both Griz and the trucking company needs to be involved, since Just Dave clarified his original post and said there were parts damaged that were not related to the crating damage. From what I've heard, they seem to be quite responsive to customer service issues.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
βœ–
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Ahhhh! Sorry, I've not spent a whole hellava lot of time hanging with the Griz.
This begs a question that's for sure to send this thread into the OT stratosphere (it is about that time, ain't it?). We send out to bid every year (or so) the contracts for hauling our children to and fro (back and forth Dave) to school and we award the contract to the..., low bidder. I wonder when there will be a disclaimer similar to Grizzly's posted on the doors of every school (that's skool for anyone from Alabama) bus door?

I know you're not playing apologist for Grizzly but you gotta hand it to the original poster for what he had to put up with.
Now, I wonder, if he were to calculate his time spent dealing with this fiasco, I wonder where he'd be savings wise.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
@wi.rr.com says...

Me neither - my only purchase from them so far has been a dust collector and some clamps. The box was damaged, but the goods were good.

Yeah, one example of where low bidder may not be in the best interests of the buyer.

I wonder where he'd be if he woulda bought some vintage Delta or PM goodies. Prolly making sawdust right about now...
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
βœ–
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Actually, seldom does the low bidder have the best interest of the buyer included in the bid.

Or, maybe, just maybe, he'd be like the rest of us and having to tweak, tune, restore and re-build the machine which isn't for everyone but does guarantee you Master of Your Domain and isn't something that's mentioned as being a requirement in the Grizzly catalog.
UA100
Add pictures here
βœ–
@wi.rr.com says...

Good point. Unfortunately, too often the bid system doesn't take into account other factors, such as competence, longevity, and commitment. Unless you're in road construction... :-)

I suppose so, but I've yet to see any machine that didn't require at least one tweak - no matter what the dealer did to it before or after delivery to your house. Maybe it's me - I just assume everything is out of whack and go to adjusting immediately. :-)
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
βœ–
says...

I wish that was a consideration in road construction here in PA.

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com says...

Hence the smiley face Al. Here in WI, we have 5 big road construction firms being investigated (probably charged by now) for fraud by fixing bids on state contracts.
Just goes to show that just about any system can be corrupted, given the right environment...
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)
βœ–
AMEN!

Add pictures here
βœ–

I would assume the bid specs were a little tighter than " hey we need someone to drive some buses, please send us a bid." I assume that there were some pretty tight specs for vehicles, maintenance, driver training, driver background checks, maintaining schedules, etc. In fact, I develop these specs for my school district, review the bids and make the recommendation for which service to award the contract. It in fact is not "lowest bid", but "lowest responsible bid" as required by law. You also do not simply award the contract and then ignore the contractor, you monitor the service, the vehicles, review maintenence, obtain (directly from the state police) the driver background checks, listen to and respond to all mommy complaints, keeping in mind that your bosses are directly elected by those mommies.
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
βœ–
Unisaw A100 wrote:

No really. Here's a quote from Grizzly's web page:
"Since Grizzly does business with several freight companies in great volume, we negotiate substantial discounts that the average, one time customer cannot receive. In order for you to receive these discounted freight rates from Grizzly, we must charge for the freight up front and your order is shipped to you prepaid."
Grizzly is acting as an agent on the customer's behalf. The charges are collected by Grizzly and passed on to the shipper.

Yes, to get volume discounted lower rates, hoping to entice more sales.

Yep, and that's technically the end of their responsibility.
Under certain conditions Grizzly will sometimes take things one step further. If something is damaged and that damage is noted on the form the driver gives the receiver to sign to accept delivery, Grizzly "will make a claim for the shipping damage on the customer's behalf." (See entry "Shipping Damage" at http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/515.cfm?&site=grizzly )

It seems that if the damage is noted on the signed shipping form Grizzly will pursue the case. If it wasn't noted, from their literature it appears the customer is SOL.
I might add that when I picked up my bandsaw from their showroom I didn't notice that the package was missing the drive pulleys and all the nuts and bolts necessary for assembly. It took about three months to get them from Grizzly as they would not pull them out of another box to ship them to me. They had to order them from overseas.
βœ–

This is what I'm dealing with, a month later and I just have parts laying in the garage instead of a jointer.
I realized and fully counted on a bolt or two missing or a scratch in the paint and even a damaged part but hell with all I've gone through......I just think it's a big nuts!
Add pictures here
βœ–