Lets talk joints

With increasing wood prices keeping costs down is key IMHO. Question 1: What are the advantages of using a glue joint bit as opposed to straight cutting edges for panel glue ups. Question 2: Do the advantages truly offset the additional costs (due to more waste per joint and tooling costs) or improve panel rejection rate. And last as usual, Might there be a better way?

I get very good results from straight edges. Never saw the need for profiled edges -- just seems like additional trouble to set up.
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:35:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, and if you do raised panels, you get interesting results at the glue joints if you use a glue joint bit.
Good point Mark, never considered those internal angles getting exposed with sanding down.