Page 1 of 2
Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

;-)
jc
: Video of sawdust-fueled cannon : :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1
:
Don't know about the ATF, but if I was one of the local fire folks in that area I don't think I'd be very pleased with anyone setting off that kind of fireball in the middle of all those trees.
Len

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again. ;~)
Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."
Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

borealbushman wrote:

Without a doubt, Leon was being sarcastic... :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

--

-MIKE-

Damn, Leon... you must give your bait recipe...

Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."
Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?
Sorry, but Leon's right. To prove it, the whole contraption is metal, it's clearly touching the ground, so it's obviously grounded. Therefore it's *impossible* to ignite anything with it.
nice post-production work, it almost looks real.
jc
Joe wrote:

Dust is dangerous. It is so dangerous, that the government even studies vacuum cleaners!
"This appendix has been prepared to give some guidance on the selection and use of vacuum cleaners for the removal and collection of [dust]. It may also be considered as outline guidance for other low combustibility solids. It ... gives guidance on the features commonly available on domestic, commercial and industrial vacuum cleaners, and the effect that these may have on selection."
http://www.hse.gov.uk/food/dustexplosionapp1.htm
Be careful, or you'll end up with a Hoover Mover.
Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."
Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?
BAH! If you do a Google search on this news group you will find that there are numerous individual posters that have never witnessed this happening or know any one that this has happened to. Therefore it is imposable for it to happen until it does happen to them or some one that they know personally, and then it would only be considered a "freak accident" and freak accidents simply do not happen to some individuals because they know that they are being plenty careful. ;~)

Well said, Leon. All too true.
Anyone that has ever worked, lived, or been around grain silos know for sure that there is no such thing as as dust ignition. Uh - huh.
Besides, when I DAGS Images for "grain silo explosion", it only came back with a few hundred over 16,000 hits. Not nearly enough proof for the fine minds of this venue to prove that fine organic dust can ignite.
Robert
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:03 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

yeah - but to be fair, there is a huge difference between a grain silo and a woodworking shop. In the world of grain silos, the potential for an explosion is very expected. It's not a freak accident. There is a lot published on the mixture required for different materials to become explosive, and grain silos can much more easily hit the right mixture for grain. Or at least they used to. I'm sure they are more controlled now.
I'm not an advocate of relying upon freak accident excuses, but I'm equally no advocate of ignoring the probabilities of things either.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

There was even some attempts to use them directly in an internal combustion engine. They were trying to perfect a "carburator" for cornstarch. It either did not work well or it worked too well. The resulting explosions destroyed the engine block.
cast forth

Actually I bet that if there were as many saw dust silos as there are grain silos you might see more explosions.
Leon wrote:

More, but still quite rare. Sawdust generally is not nearly as fine as is grain dust, hence much harder to get into sufficient concentration to make an explosive mixture and iirc the ignition point is higher as well.

Also, some of the silo explosions are dust as well as 'silo gas', which I am guessing to be methane related?
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:08:15 -0600, Leon cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Perhaps, but therein lies a big part of the issue. The silo itself is a big contributor to the necessary environment for an explosion. It enables the concentrations and air mixtures required. Not the same environment as found in workshops.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Think of it as a self correcting condition. The shop needs a good cleaning, pronto, when the air gets that thick with dust. A quick fire ball to kick off the event is appropriate. Most the time, though, I keep the road flares far away, and never but never put a lit one where the DC might snatch it.
Leon wrote:

Yuppers - and notice the lack of a grounding cable/stake.
Wonder if you could bring down one o' them black helicopters with a rig like that?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar