lessons learned the hard way...

things I've learned...

  1. Flaws are not as obvious to anyone else.
  2. I bought too many unnecessary tools in the beginning.
  3. I didn't buy enough necessary tools in the beginning.
  4. Open shelves in shop is the most efficient dust collection system.
  5. Wet finish rivals open shelves for dust collection.
  6. Safety glasses are cool.
  7. Shop vas must be emptied before you remove the filter to suck up a wet spill inside the house.
  8. SWMBO doesn't see any humor in sawdust sprayed all over the living room.
  9. SWMBO doesn't forget you sprayed sawdust all over the living room very quickly.
  10. SWMBO still thinks it's a garage.
  11. If you've been in the shop cutting and sanding all day and the wind is blowing just right and you time opening the door to the house when your daughter has opened the back door you will instantly be transported back in time to when you filled the living room with sawdust.
  12. Reread #9
  13. Kickbacks are a huge adrenaline rush.
  14. Always keep some money tucked away for those deals you stumble on.
  15. MDF produces saw powder....not saw dust.
  16. Ask permission before grabbing a towel to use in the shop.
  17. Move Samba's car before blowing out shop with leaf blower.
  18. Finally and most important...build something nice for SWMBO and show her how much money you made on the side with your tools. Give her a kiss and work on that to do list diligently.

Happy Holidays y'all from Forth Worth Texas!!

Reply to
mel

I hate typos.....SWMBO's car...not Samba's car...geeesh.....who the heck is Samba???

Reply to
mel

SAMBA??? She Attacked My Big Ass after getting sawdust all over her car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
nospambob

An excellent summary. Though I think you can slip in, between number 1 & 2, "SWMBO will find flaws even you didn't see"

Reply to
Mike G

You left at least one out:

  1. Don't staple one of SWMBO's red linen dinner napkins to the end of oversize lumber load when transporting.
Reply to
Swingman

Maybe you were thinking you want to samba with SWMBO later?

Otherwise slips like that can get you in the doghouse BIGTIME.

WHO IS

SSS H H EEEEE !! !! !! S S H H E !! !! !! S H H E !! !! !! S HHHHH EEE !! !! !! S H H E !! !! !! S S H H E SSS H H EEEEE !! !! !!

Reply to
Silvan

Sounds like you need a new SWMBO. I tell mine to get out the damn vacuum cleaner and take care of my mess.

I bring in boxes and boxes of sawdust and blow it all over the place just to give the lazy wench something to do.

When she's done cleaning, she bakes me some cookies, apologizes to me for not getting the mess cleaned up faster, and then we retire to our budoir for six hours of lovemaking.

Huh? What was that? Oh. I have to go now. SWMBO has just revoked my posting privledges.

(She *does* bake me lots of cookies though. :)

Best investment I ever made was an economy pack of dish rags. We never, ever do dishes by hand, and I'm slowly but surely claiming them one by one for shop use.

Back atcha.

Reply to
Silvan

SWMBO, in "MSFT Spell Checker"?

Reply to
Swingman

On Sat 20 Dec 2003 06:57:13a, "mel" wrote in news:JGXEb.136$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

I think that should be a little further up the list. This has been confirmed by a SWMBO check.

SWMBO has also offered the opinion that there are a great many patient women in the world.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Waiting for their men to die first?

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

ok...to prove a point, I bought a delta oscillating spindle sander attachment for a drill press. It moves down for a 1/2" stroke then returns to original position and sits there waiting for the oblong thingy to make it's revolution before it moves again.... a totally useless and unnecessary purchase. But you say "totally untrue" ok..... you also say deals never happen...ok... it's yours for $2. + shipping and handling.

Reply to
mel

  1. Don't ask another woman in SWMBO's hearing what size belt she wears (It was completely innocent!)
  2. Don't forget that even though it's "mother's day" and not "wife's day" that means YOU have to buy her a present. (I still haven't lived that one down yet. Oh man have I not lived that one down. Nobody ever TOLD me that.)

Here's a good lesson I just learned:

  1. When you've gotten two new power tools and the makings of a decent dust collection system for Christmas, and you find you have some cash left over out of your bonus after buying everything SWMBO asked for, don't buy the Veritas hand plane you really want. Instead, say goodbye to the hand plane money, hand some greenbacks to SWMBO and let her go shopping while you stay home with the kids.

I'm sitting here with a whole pile of relatively cheap jewlery to wrap up for her, and she's got *that* look in her eyes.

It makes sense. She would never get me the right tools without my help, and I would never get her the right useless bits of shiny metal and rocks without hers. We're grown ups. This way we get what we *really* want, and get it right.

Daddy is going to get lucky to night boys, hooYAH!!! :)

Reply to
Silvan

Late 80's era word processor.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That can be really expensive...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sat 20 Dec 2003 12:57:23p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com:

I don't think that was what she originally meant but she says "Yeah, that's it!"

Dan

Reply to
Dan

bossa nova. Remember that? Getz, Gilberto, Jobim... Think I'll put a CD on. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Yeah but... There is a difference between some tool being a total POS, which is what it appears that you got, and one for which you can find no use. The former happens, the latter does not. mahalo, jo4hn (who prolly doesn't know of what he speaketh...) (or mayhap he doth)

Reply to
jo4hn

"Silvan" wrote in >

Apeman, is that you?