lessons learned the hard way...

Page 1 of 2
things I've learned...
1. Flaws are not as obvious to anyone else. 2. I bought too many unnecessary tools in the beginning. 3. I didn't buy enough necessary tools in the beginning. 4. Open shelves in shop is the most efficient dust collection system. 5. Wet finish rivals open shelves for dust collection. 6. Safety glasses are cool. 7. Shop vas must be emptied before you remove the filter to suck up a wet spill inside the house. 8. SWMBO doesn't see any humor in sawdust sprayed all over the living room. 9. SWMBO doesn't forget you sprayed sawdust all over the living room very quickly. 10. SWMBO still thinks it's a garage. 11. If you've been in the shop cutting and sanding all day and the wind is blowing just right and you time opening the door to the house when your daughter has opened the back door you will instantly be transported back in time to when you filled the living room with sawdust. 12. Reread #9 13. Kickbacks are a huge adrenaline rush. 14. Always keep some money tucked away for those deals you stumble on. 15. MDF produces saw powder....not saw dust. 16. Ask permission before grabbing a towel to use in the shop. 17. Move Samba's car before blowing out shop with leaf blower. 18. Finally and most important...build something nice for SWMBO and show her how much money you made on the side with your tools. Give her a kiss and work on that to do list diligently.
Happy Holidays y'all from Forth Worth Texas!!
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

I hate typos.....SWMBO's car...not Samba's car...geeesh.....who the heck is Samba???

is
SAMBA??? She Attacked My Big Ass after getting sawdust all over her car.
that's good...lol
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

Wife's name?
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:03:10 GMT, "mel"

mel wrote:

Maybe you were thinking you want to samba with SWMBO later?
Otherwise slips like that can get you in the doghouse BIGTIME.
WHO IS
SSS H H EEEEE !! !! !! S S H H E !! !! !! S H H E !! !! !! S HHHHH EEE !! !! !! S H H E !! !! !! S S H H E SSS H H EEEEE !! !! !!
<lighting strikes, sounds of trees breaking in the distance, echoes, then utter silence>
SWMBO, in "MSFT Spell Checker"?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03

Late 80's era word processor.

bossa nova. Remember that? Getz, Gilberto, Jobim... Think I'll put a CD on.     j4
An excellent summary. Though I think you can slip in, between number 1 & 2, "SWMBO will find flaws even you didn't see"
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Swingman wrote:

20. Don't ask another woman in SWMBO's hearing what size belt she wears (It was completely innocent!)
21. Don't forget that even though it's "mother's day" and not "wife's day" that means YOU have to buy her a present. (I still haven't lived that one down yet. Oh man have I not lived that one down. Nobody ever TOLD me that.)
Here's a good lesson I just learned:
22. When you've gotten two new power tools and the makings of a decent dust collection system for Christmas, and you find you have some cash left over out of your bonus after buying everything SWMBO asked for, don't buy the Veritas hand plane you really want. Instead, say goodbye to the hand plane money, hand some greenbacks to SWMBO and let her go shopping while you stay home with the kids.
I'm sitting here with a whole pile of relatively cheap jewlery to wrap up for her, and she's got *that* look in her eyes.
It makes sense. She would never get me the right tools without my help, and I would never get her the right useless bits of shiny metal and rocks without hers. We're grown ups. This way we get what we *really* want, and get it right.
Daddy is going to get lucky to night boys, hooYAH!!! :)
mel wrote:

Sounds like you need a new SWMBO. I tell mine to get out the damn vacuum cleaner and take care of my mess.
I bring in boxes and boxes of sawdust and blow it all over the place just to give the lazy wench something to do.
When she's done cleaning, she bakes me some cookies, apologizes to me for not getting the mess cleaned up faster, and then we retire to our budoir for six hours of lovemaking.
Huh? What was that? Oh. I have to go now. SWMBO has just revoked my posting privledges.
(She *does* bake me lots of cookies though. :)

Best investment I ever made was an economy pack of dish rags. We never, ever do dishes by hand, and I'm slowly but surely claiming them one by one for shop use.

Back atcha.
Silvan wrote:

That can be really expensive... <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Yeah, I know. All of my old friends are on the far side of their second or third divorces.
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 03:34:53 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

Before marriage a man yearns for SWMBO, after marriage a man earns for SWMBO.
Phisherman wrote:

And after divorce, a man earns for SWMBO's common law husband.
I had a pair of neighbors like that once. She cashed the alimony checks, and she and her live-in were both unemployed.

vacuum
Apeman, is that you?
I'd bet not ... he probably ended up marrying that chick he sent us all pictures of and she won't let him near the computer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/18/03