Lesson learned - TS Blades

I knew I was going to have to cut up a bunch of MDF and use up some scrap melamine (PB core) to make up some shop cabinets, so I bought a 'throw away' $10 carbide blade off Ebay for the job. Why ruin my Freuds right ? I started my saw (Jet 3hp cabinet) and it shook like an out of balance washing machine. Needless to say the Freud went back on - I'll use it for junk now - I have an excuse to go buy the Forrestt now for the good stuff.
BTW has anyone used the CMT General Purpose blades ? I've heard some pretty good things about them recently. I don't have any problem buying the Forrestt, but I do like learning about other alternatives. I've always wondered about Systi Matics too - they don't seem to get much press.
jim bailey
Jim Bailey asks:

Can't help on the SystiMatic, but the CMT GP blade is a good one, on a par with Freud.
Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore
If it makes you feel any better, cutting MDF is not going to ruin a "good" blade. You can always have the blade resharpened and a better quality blade can be resharpened 10+ times depending on how much you abuse it between sharpenings. Systematic used to be a pretty good blade but IIRC sold out and is no longer family owned. They are probably in the Freud class.

Sun, Apr 4, 2004, 9:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@jbaileygroupANDTHIS.com (JimBailey) says: <snip> I bought a 'throw away' $10 carbide blade off Ebay <snip> Plus paid shipping. I wouldn't touch anything like that off of eBay.
I got a carbide tipped 10" blade at Big Lots awhile back. $9.99 I think it was. Works great, nice smooth cut, albeit a tad wide maybe.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Why not use your good blade? It'll sharpen. Prolly cheaper to sharpen than to buy a new blade? I use my bad blades for wood with potential nails in them. SH
Jim,
Systimatic makes excellent blades. I just bought their glue-line rip blade. I have a CMT crosscut that is good. I have both Freud and Forrest combination blades, and an excellent Everlast blade for my miter saw.
Andy