Leonard Lee RIP

Leonard Lee, the founder of Lee Valley and Veritas Tools passed away recent ly. He used to be a contributor directly and indirectly to this forum a nu mber of years ago. There is an interesting article about him here: https:/ /www.thestar.com/business/2016/07/16/leonard-lee-founder-of-lee-valley-tool s-was-the-ultimate-craftsman.html
RIP.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 12:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

there was something on their website too
wonder how long ago he gave up responsibilities in the day to day operations of the company
or did he work up to the end
who is minding the store now
*snip*

Last I knew, it was Robin Lee. He used to post here occasionally, last time I remember seeing him was a couple April Fool's Days ago. They had just "invented" a dust collector shroud for a hand plane.
Puckdropper

Here's another newspaper article :
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6769990-leonard-lee-leaves-customers-a-lifetime-of-tools/
To my knowledge, Robin Lee is still in charge. John T.
On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 5:10:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

a-lifetime-of-tools/

Yes, Robin is in charge. He used to post on this forum regularly, IIRC.
I seem to remember Mr. Lee himself being asked why he didn't put Lee Valley on the Stock Market and his answer was along these lines: why would I give away everything I've build up to banks and institutions. If I need more m oney to grow, I'll go to a bank and borrow the money.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 17:40:20 -0700 (PDT)

good to know family is still involved

a sure sign he was not insane
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Wise move these days. Place I work is Fortune 100 and it is _not_ on the stock market.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 12:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

hopefully it will not be sold off to rockler or maybe it was already
On 2016-07-18 4:33 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

Not likely Robin has been running it for years, the business will more than likely stay in the family, at least for a few more years.
--
Froz....

On 19/07/2016 7:21 @wiz, FrozenNorth wrote:

Let's hope so. Good tools there and a good business mind, father to son.
Vale, Leonard. May Robin lead on the same wave.