Length of a 3/4 router bit

I needed to buy a new 3/4 router bit and I notice that a couple of places s ell only a shorter version of the one I've had for years. This is not a hug e deal, although I do sometimes use the bit for edging and that may cause s ome issues. I'm just curious if this is how things are now.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 11:32:37 -0800 (PST), Michael

1 1/2 " or 1 1/4 " depth ...
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p0163&cat=1,33084,46168,69435,46173&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?pB886&cat=1,33084,46168,69435,46171&ap=1
bottom cleaning are shorter .. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p0177&cat=1,33084,46168,69435,46171&ap=1
--- ---
How many HP is your router. Can it drive the long cutter or do you make a number of slots not one deep one ?
Martin
On 1/7/2016 4:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 4:45:10 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Thanks, Hub. I know I can find them online. I was just curious that this seems to be the standard in your average box stores now.
On 1/8/2016 10:07 AM, Michael wrote:

Only if they're also made in China ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Why are you (purposely?) vague on the length of the bit you're wanting to replace?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_29287-353-85265MC_ http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=Straight&brand=Whiteside&Shank=1/2%22&Diameter=3/4%22 http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=Spiral&brand=Whiteside&Diameter=3/4%22&Shank=1/2%22

Lowes 1 1/4 " not stocked ? https://www.lowes.ca/routers/task-tools-t24126-straight-2-flute-34-in-x-1-14-in-carbide-height-router-bit_g1581111.html
Home Hardware 1 1/2 "
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Tools/Power-Tools/Portable-Acc/Routers/Carbide-Bits/3-4-2-Flute-Straight-Carbide-Router-Bit/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/No-24/Ntk-All_EN/R-I1216521?Ntt=router+bit&Num=0
Home Depot 1 1/2 " 4 in stock at my local store.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.freud-34-in-x1-12-in-double-flute-straight-bit.1000102727.html
.. dunno where you shop .. John T.
--- ---

You're lucky if you can even find 1/2" shank router bits in the big box stores. Very unpredictable if a given store will stock them at all, let alone have a reasonable selection.
In any event, I think longer straight flute bits have become in general less common, since spiral upcut or downcut bits work better for most applications where you'd use a long cutting edge.
John
On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 19:12:44 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

I was just looking at the router bits in HD (one of three in the area) this morning. I'd guess they had 20 or 30 1/2" shank bits (including a 3/4" x 1-1/2") for sale. Mostly straight, trimming, and pattern following bits but that's what I'd expect at a local store.

I've certainly found the opposite to be true. I'd probably have bought the 3/4" x 1-1/2" if it were a spiral up-cut.

How things are now? Keep looking. :-). Try other brands.