Length of a 3/4 router bit

I needed to buy a new 3/4 router bit and I notice that a couple of places s ell only a shorter version of the one I've had for years. This is not a hug e deal, although I do sometimes use the bit for edging and that may cause s ome issues. I'm just curious if this is how things are now.

Reply to
Michael

1 1/2 " or 1 1/4 " depth ...

bottom cleaning are shorter ..

hubops

How many HP is your router. Can it drive the long cutter or do you make a number of slots not one deep one ?

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

How things are now? Keep looking. :-). Try other brands.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks, Hub. I know I can find them online. I was just curious that this seems to be the standard in your average box stores now.

Reply to
Michael

Only if they're also made in China ...

Reply to
Swingman

Why are you (purposely?) vague on the length of the bit you're wanting to replace?

Spalted Walt

Lowes 1 1/4 " not stocked ?

Home Hardware 1 1/2 "

Home Depot 1 1/2 " 4 in stock at my local store.

.. dunno where you shop .. John T.

hubops

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You're lucky if you can even find 1/2" shank router bits in the big box stores. Very unpredictable if a given store will stock them at all, let alone have a reasonable selection.

In any event, I think longer straight flute bits have become in general less common, since spiral upcut or downcut bits work better for most applications where you'd use a long cutting edge.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I was just looking at the router bits in HD (one of three in the area) this morning. I'd guess they had 20 or 30 1/2" shank bits (including a 3/4" x 1-1/2") for sale. Mostly straight, trimming, and pattern following bits but that's what I'd expect at a local store.

I've certainly found the opposite to be true. I'd probably have bought the 3/4" x 1-1/2" if it were a spiral up-cut.

Reply to
krw