Leigh FMT vs. Multi Router

Hello,

Trying to get some information regarding these two jigs. Need to set up for small production of mortise & tenons for furniture, including chairs so angled m&t are important.

I have a lot of experience with the multi router and know it will do the job, but for the price I'm wondering how close the FMT may come. Disadvantage is no air clamp option for the FMT so loading would take just a bit longer but my concerns are these:

Setup: -not initial but say to switch from 3/8" x 2" tenon to 1/4" x

3/4"?

-also to switch from tenoning to mortising, 3/8"x2" tenon to its mortise

Angled tenons: Pretty simple with the JDS but don't know if it is an issue with the FMT. Compound angle tenons on FMT?

Operator Fatigue: I've run a Multi-router all day and it will grind on you but mostly just its the repetition. Linear bearings keep the effort down and also let you feel the cutting action rather than bearing friction. So any input from FMT users in an extended session would be appreciated.

Grateful for any information. The Multi Router is great but it is so expensive that if the FMT offers most of the production benefits for $1000 it would be money well spent and the rest could go to a drum sander or other production necessity. But if the FMT is just an expensive hobbyist jig then I know the JDS will do the job in a production setting.

Thanks for any information.

-Mario

Reply to
FreeState

Thomas Bunetta

Not an expert. Have had mine for a few months, so HTH.

Need to change the routerbit and template (snap out old template, snap in new one - very quick, changing bit a bit longer)

You use the same template. Need to change the tenon piece with the mortice piece.

Can do both. A matter of initial setup.

Use mine for half day at a stretch. No problem. I use a DW625 which is very smooth. Other routers 'might' not be as smooth and cause a bit of hand fatigue. (have not used any other so that is why the 'might')

Might try getting the Leigh FMT video. Explains it all.

Reply to
Phil Hansen