Leigh Dovetail Help Needed

Page 2 of 2
DJ Delorie wrote:

Thanks for that tip. <G>

I agree with Leon's comments and the bit needs to be almost all the way up in the collet. If the bits are too long I cut off a chunk so that I can have the cutter way up around the collet.. I find that 1/2" collet bits work best for correcting this problem. I feel 8m/m is still a bit on the lean side especially for cutting hardwoods.
Good Luck
"Joe Bemier" wrote in message

Too long bits are rarely a problem with the Leigh jigs ... with some routers it can be a struggle to get a dovetail bit up far enough in the router collet in dovetail mode because of the thickness of the jig fingers.
Sounds as if this is what Stoutman is experiencing ...

Be pretty tough to do that on my D4 with the necessary 7/16 collar guide on the router. That's why Leigh recommends, and supplies, 8mm.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Stoutman wrote:

I've used mine in maple, the world's densest white oak <G>, cedar, poplar, and red oak.
The only time I can remember anything that could be described as chatter, I was trying to push too fast straight through, where the bit was encased in wood. I find "scooping" movements, moving left to right, work much better.
Hope we're talking about the same thing. <G>