Leigh D4 are supplied cutters enough?

I am about to purchase a Leigh D4 dovetail jig. It comes supplied with 2 cutters. I see that Leigh do some cutter sets. If you add up the cost of the individual cutters the sets look to be good value, however it is easy to get carried away and buy something that will never get used. What are the mostly used cutters? Are the supplied cutters suitable for general type joinery? Rather than do a deal with a large purchase would I be better off making do with the supplied cutters and then buying cutters as I need them.

Also does anyone have any views on the F1 finger template? The Isoloc joints look fantastic but not sure how many applications they would be suitable for.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric the Red

I have had the D4 and F1 for about 5 years now and have gotten by with about

6 cutters total. There is a LOT of over lap between cutters. IIRC 2 size DT Bits will cover just about every thing. That said, you will get a different look, depth and spacing with different cutters.

The F1 is great and simple to use. although I only use 1 size box joint, I am very skeptical as to whether you actually need all those different sized straight bits for the larger sized joints. I questioned the rep at the WW show about needing the different sized bits for the F1 and he just smiled and commented that a lot of people are able to do a lot of different things with the F1 jig. ICBW but I took that to mean that if the cutter is not too large to for the application that you can use small bits for large joints.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto what he said.

Also, a lot of other bit makers offer "Leigh Jig packages".

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt