Leigh D1258r-12

I picked up a Leigh D1258r-12 12" dovetail jig at an auction for $75.00 this weekend. The Jig has all the pieces except the Dovetail and straight cutting bit and owners manual. I downloaded the D4 manual off the Leigh Website. using the google search I have noticed that this is an old model and not exactly like the current D4. Leigh sells a kit for $45.00 to update the 1258-r to the d4. Is this worth the money? I was also considering purchasing the cam locks for $35 too.
I also got a Home made Router cabinet (decent) with a Porter Cable 3-1/4 hp speedmatic variable speed (not plunge) router and a Jointech fence set up. I am not familiar with the jointech but it looks very nice. I am looking forward to experimenting with it.
Yes it is worth it. IMHO the cam locks are for sure worth it.

I haven't ever seen the jig you have, but I do have the D4 and getting your jib upgraded to the D4 would be hard to pass up. Taking the $75 + 45 + 35 only get's you to $155, which is less than half-price a new D4.
Mike

It is only a 12" jig, not a 24" like the d4. Except for the cam locks and the side scales it looks identical to the 24" d4.

well, that is a good point that I missed from your original post.
I've made a few chests and utilized the full 24" capacity, but more often I duplicate my set-up on each end of the jig so I can reduce set-up redundancy. Other than that, 12" probably is just fine for 90% of the things I do.
That said, I still think the upgrades are worth it - although you probably should use the jig as is and see if you find it lacking. If not, probably just leave it alone.
Mike

Well, I jumped in and bought all 3 upgrades (cam locks, scales, and stops) and the 140 and 80 bit to make it the same as the D4. I figure if I dont like it, it will be worth $200.00 to someone. Have a good day

Well worth the money..cam locks too. Do it before you try the jig, else you'll probably want to throw it against the wall. Once the upgrade is installed. it's a much nicer toy errr...tool.
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Rick Cox" < snipped-for-privacy@bob.com> wrote in message
Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought the upgrades. Give it a try, If i like it i am only in it for $200.00, If not I could probabally get my money back out of it (If someone wants a 12" Jig)