Legacy Ornamental Mill Comment

I saw this sucker at the WW show, but didn't have time to stay and watch the demo. One of the salespeople slipped me a DVD which I just watched. Now that's cool! Now I know how the legs of my Schnadig coffee table were made. After having see that thing in action, I feel like using a table saw and router table is more akin to Neandering.

I looked all through the CMT catalog and could not find a side cutting router bit of the depth that they demoed the Legacy with. Anyone know who makes a deep side cutting bit? It is piloted and sort of like a rabbetting bit but narrower, with a sharper point and LONG.

If only I had the space and moola... :)

oh, anyone in Wreckland have one of the wonderous machines?

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Magnate

makes these beasts.

CharlesJ

-- ======================================================================== Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com

Reply to
Charles Jones

Yes I have one, spent about 4500.00 and have it all set up and have not had chance to use it yet. There is a company in California that custon makes a lot of router bits for the Legacy they also sell al lot of standard stuff and carry the complete Amana line.

Magnate is the name of the company ,

George M. Kazaka

George, how long have you had it? I was impressed with the DVD demo of the unit and all the stuff it can make.

Thanks for the link on the bits. The bit I was looking for is the side reeding type - 5" long to reach to the center of up to an 8" diameter spindle. Very cool.

dave

George M. Kazaka wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

thanks, Charles - as I told George, I looked at that link and found the bits. I supposed there has GOT to be a way to use it without having the Legacy...

dave

Charles J> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

We bought one at the Woodworks show last month here in Indianapolis and just got it all put together and set up. I am going to use it in our classes. The main reason we bought it was to make taper bed post for our cherry bed class. I am sure we will find other uses for it as well. I am anxious to play with it and get some training time on it. My friend Jim Crosbie from Timber Works has one and has used it on a reagular bases. I am going to get Jim to train me...if he has the time. thanks, Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

I always saw this unit advertized in many woodworking magazines and always said i do not need to be making rope twist. One day they sent me a cd with a demo on it , Stuck it in the computer and was I suprised at what theis bad boy can do.

I bought the biggest unit with every thing that can be added to it, but you can get one for I think 900.00 and then add to it as time goes on. Off course you need a big Plunge Router also. They use the PC 3-1/4 Hp 5 speed plunge and that is what i bought to use on it

Other than doing turnings with a router it does tuff i have been doing for years by making a lot of time consuming jigs that only half work good.

There was a whole lot of thought in designing this unit and it is well made and constructed There is a biiiiiig learning curve on it it. I haven't actually even cut a peice of wood with it yet but have it all put together I think I have one or two things to tweak yet.

The company has been reputable, I believe i was missing a few nuts and bolts and they sent them to me when i called them.

I have worked on many machines and like cars you kinda wonder what friggin engineer came up with this stupid idea, I cannot say that about this machine.

Better than the DVD they have some instructional videos that they sell call the company and ask fro Tracy he is the guy in the dvd demo. He may send one or two to you if your interested in buying the machine. And if you do ask for the show special, its about 10 % off the listed prices.

If you want some close up photo's let me know and I'll snap a few and e-mail them to ya.

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Mike, I'm a vivid shade of green! That has GOT to be one of the neatest bits of engineered equipment available for serious woodworkers. Next best thing to a CNC machine, huh?

Please let us know how you like it and maybe post some pictures of the projects.

I was in total awe at the stuff that is shown on the DVD. Ever since I got a set of living room furniture by Schnadig, I've wondered how they made the legs. One of the Legacy machines could have done them, although I would guess that a large furniture mfgr. would use CNC's.

dave

Mike at American Sycamore wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thanks for the offer of pictures George, but I saw enough of the unit in the DVD to give me something to dream about for a long time. Like I asked Robin, please post how you like it after you get her operational, and post some pictures to ABPW. (alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking) Just be sure to post a message on this newsgroup to let us know you posted the pictures on ABPW.

Speaking of a learning curve, I spent a few minutes refreshing my memory of dovetailing with the Incra system. I've only done one batch of drawers with it and that was months ago, so now I have to skim the instructions again for a few pointers.

I can't begin to estimate how much money would need to be spent on the router bits for that bad boy. Judging from the paltry number of bits I've got and I've already spent over $700...

I'll keep Tracy's name in mind if I work up the nerve to call.

dave

George M. Kazaka wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave,

The only thing that concerns me...Am I smart enough to fiqure out how to run the machine and make it do what I want?. I have been at all the Woodworks shows across the country promoting our school and I watch the Legacy demo and talk with the salespeople to get as much information as I can when I get a free minute or two.

I am looking forward when the shows are over and I have some shop time. I am working the the Legacy people to come here to American Sycamore and do a class and seminar on the machine!! take care, Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore