Legacy of tools - who gets them?

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:12:48 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

Uh, what part of "executor and beneficiary" do you not understand?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

No need to get snippy. He didn't say the friend was the ONLY person to inherit from his estate. And he said he "told him that he can keep what he wants." That's not the same thing as leaving it to him in a will.
In my state, the executor is not obligated to pay any of the deceased's debts unless he is instructed to do so in the will. It is the descision of the heirs whether to pay the debts or not. If they decide not to, the debts are just written off by the creditors or they can file claims in probate court if that is how the estate is handled. IN my state you have to post legal notice that anyone wanting to make a claim has X amount of time to do so.

No one is getting them! I'm taking mine with me! :)
On 8 Jan 2007 13:16:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm sort of in the same boat, myself- no kids, and no plans for any. Unless nature springs a surprise on my wife and I (which does sometimes happen, no matter what the intentions) I've decided that when I get too old to play with my toys anymore, I'm going to try to find a young guy (or girl) who has some aptitute and interest in the hobby, whether I know them at all or not, and bestow a huge gift on them.
If you look around a little, there is always someone who is struggling mightily to get themselves established in anything. I wouldn't just hand over nice tools to someone who just says they're interested in trying it out, but I am hoping that I can find someone who has a starter shop and is doing actual work with what they've got, and make an all-at-once upgrade happen for them.
If that doesn't seem likely, I'll try and donate it to some sort of vocational program for young people, like a school or community center.
Auctioning it off is the last resort, in my mind- I'd rather see it go to someone who I know will use and appreciate it, than see all my hard-won equipment divided up and sold for pennies on the dollar to some random people who may or may not use or appreciate it.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net says...

Or even worse, auctioned to people whose only purpose is to purchase it and resell it for a profit.
I too have no kids and we have no intention to have any. Since I'm still relatively young (39), I haven't really put any thought into this topic, although certainly one could go at any time. I do have one young nephew who might someday be interested, but there are no other relative options beyond him. At least my wife knows that there is significant value in my shop, although if we both go at the same time in some accident or something, I'm not sure any of my other relatives would know that.
I like the idea of finding one person who is working with a starter shop and give them an instant upgrade. There are no woodworking clubs in my area (surprising), but perhaps down the road when I am getting up there in years that will change and I will encounter more folks in such a situation.
-Mark
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:54:48 -0500, Mark Blum

A few years back, I took a woodworking "class" through the tech. school, and there was a fair range people there that were to use the big equipment the school had that they didn't have at home- evidently, this had been going on for some years, and it was less a class than an opportunity for locals to rent shop time on the cheap. Might be an interesting way to meet other woodworkers.

There are a number of woodworking schools around; pick one in your area and make contact to assess interest and arrange a visit. Make the bequest while you're still around to supervise and enjoy the result. Don't forget to take advantage of tax benefits for the contribution.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=woodworking+schools&num0&scoring=r&hl=en&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny 81&as_maxd=8&as_maxm=1&as_maxy 07&safe=off
David Merrill

Here's an idea I entertained a few years ago while working for a woodworking magazine. I think I suggested it to the editors, but I can't remember. I've told a few people.
It seems to me that we have a bunch of older woodworkers with good tools and a limited population of young woodworkers who can't, because they are trying to establish themselves, with no tools or cheap tools.
I suggest that someone--ideally an organization representing the woodworking community--set up a way for old woodworkers to leave those tools their family or friends don't want to an organization who would distribute them to young woodworkers who are just starting the hobby.
The criteria could be:
1. Young woodworkers would submit an essay or some other statement about why they want to pursue woodworking, e.g. philosophy, design ideas, stories, or even samples of what they have already accomplished. 2. Older woodworkers would will their tools to the organization (a pro bono lawyer would have to work on the wording of such an addendum). 3. The organization, let's call it "Tools for the Future," would redestribute tools, and in the case of heavy machinery like Shopsmiths or cabinet saws, probably redistribute primarily based on geographic proximity. 3. Tool recipients would keep a running journal or blog online telling how they are using the tools or pictures of what they've build or stories about how they organized their shop around the new equipment.They would also need to sign an agreement not to resell the tools to discourage poachers and posers. 4. A lot of this could be organized on a Web site. 5. Tool companies that pride themselves on the longevity of their equipment--Powermatic, Shopsmith--could advertise.
There are probably a dozen other details to work out (e.g. storage) but I think it's still an idea worth of consideration.
Or did I post this same idea here 5 years ago? I'm getting old and forgetful.

That's a really good idea, and has been implemented for other items in Masonic lodges for some time. Here's to hoping that something like that is around when I need it (probably about 75 years from now, if the other men in my family are anything to go by- maybe more, as I'm signifgantly more clean-living then most of them)
Mon, Jan 8, 2007, 1:16pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth posteth: <snip> if I should die before I can sell the shop (I hope that will happen in about 25 years!) where will they go? <snip>
Well, aren't we pessimistic as Hell? I just turned 66, and I'm hoping "I" won't die for at least 100 years. Pack up your tools and send 'em to me. Personally, I want to be cremated, and might's well take my whole shop with me.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky

Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?

More likely a steam engine of some kind.
It would be the ultimate metaphor as he will be going to that big steam engine in the sky.
Tue, Jan 9, 2007, 2:11pm snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: Savin' up for that blast furnace to melt everything down are you?
Can't afford a long-ship, so figured that would the next best option.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky

There's no need to save up for that- if I can make a blast furnace on the cheap, I'm sure a handy guy like JOAT can too.
Thu, Jan 11, 2007, 6:24am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net (Prometheus) doth sayeth: There's no need to save up for that- if I can make a blast furnace on the cheap, I'm sure a handy guy like JOAT can too.
Yeah, could, but won't. I figure I'll just put together a small mortar. Then when the time come I'll get cremated. Than have someone rent a Bobcat, dig a hole, torch the the shop, doze the remains into the hole, fill the hole. Then have 'em wait for a nice windy day, plant the mortar on top of the shop, load my ashes in, and shoot me into the breeze. Hmm, maybe that should be a condition for inheriting? Where'd I put my will?
JOAT I do not have the huge amout of faith needed to be an Atheist.

Your tools and workshop are gone. Better make sure you've got something else for somebody to inherit otherwise your ashes might find their way into the nearest latrine.
Fri, Jan 12, 2007, 8:59am snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth adviseth: Your tools and workshop are gone. Better make sure you've got something else for somebody to inherit otherwise your ashes might find their way into the nearest latrine.
No prob, already got it covered.
JOAT I do not have the huge amout of faith needed to be an Atheist.
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:01:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

The blast furnace *is* a little problematic anyhow- after you've melted everything else down, there's still one left. Though maybe you should consider a huge trebuchet for your final project- even if you still bury the shop, you could have it shot into the hole.
On a slightly more serious note, the mortar isn't an unheard of idea. I have a friend who has my word that I will mix his ashes with shot and load him into 12ga. shells to take him hunting one last time when he's done for. I don't have any problem with it, and that's what he wants- so unless his family prevents it, that's what is going to happen.
Sat, Jan 13, 2007, 2:01am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMcharter.net (Prometheus) doeth sayeth: The blast furnace *is* a little problematic anyhow- after you've melted everything else down, there's still one left. Though maybe you should consider a huge trebuchet for your final project- even if you still bury the shop, you could have it shot into the hole. On a slightly more serious note, the mortar isn't an unheard of idea. I have a friend who has my word that I will mix his ashes with shot and load him into 12ga. shells to take him hunting one last time when he's done for. I don't have any problem with it, and that's what he wants- so unless his family prevents it, that's what is going to happen.
Well, I suppose the trebuchet could be used for dispersing my ashes. Then it could be torched too.
All I can say is, don't shoot upwind, otherwise sounds reasonable to me.
JOAT I do not have the huge amout of faith needed to be an Atheist.