Left tilt vs. right tilt table saw

Page 2 of 2

Probably why I never was a great employee.

Unless he's wrong.

If he's wrong, tell him so.
Doug Miller wrote:

Since we're totally picking nits, that's not exactly true.
Using the fence on the short side of the saw changes the way the operator makes the cut, as well as limiting the capacity (width) of panels that can be beveled.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Perhaps you see pointing out unsafe practices (such as cutting bevels on the wrong side of the tilt) as "picking nits".
I don't.

True enough -- which is one reason that I'm completely mystified by anyone putting the long side of the saw *toward* the tilt.
Look, guys, my saw is a right tilt, and I'm very pleased with it, but honestly, I haven't seen any cut it can make that couldn't also be made with a left tilt saw.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.

Some good advice follows, and some not-so-good advice, follows ...

Agreed.
Agreed -- but with a right-tilt saw, the natural position of the fence should be left of the blade *anyway*.

And a right-tilt saw allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your left hand. Which is natural if you're left-handed. In which case you're better off with a right-tilt saw.

And this differs from a right-tilt saw *how*? "The direction you would expect" is the direction that the blade spins, in all cases, regardless of the type of saw.

That's a problem with a right-tilt saw *only* if you have the fence on the wrong side of the blade. Put the fence on the wrong side of the blade on a left-tilt saw, and you have the same problem. Regardless of the tilt of the saw, the correct side is away from the tilt, and the wrong side is toward the tilt.

Agreed.
That isn't a problem for those of us who are able to add and subtract fractions correctly.

If you're concernead about accuracy, a steel rule is a better idea than a tape measure.

IOW... in the direction that the blade rotates. Never mind CW or CCW, just remember that the nut loosens in the same direction the blade rotates, and you'll never have a problem.

Of course, on a right-tilt saw, the table extension *and* the fence belong on the left, so this really shouldn't be an issue.

The slots may not be the same distance anyway, even if the tilt *is* the same. Different manufacturers put them in different places sometimes.
Doug Miller wrote:

To most people, "the direction you would expect" is counterclockwise--ie, a standard nut/bolt arrangement. Yes, there is a reason why you'd turn it in the direction that the blade spins, and you *should* expect to turn it that way. But many don't.

Makes sense to me, but not it seems to most manufacturers. Take a look at Delta's website. (Or General, or Grizzly...) All the instructions/pictures have the extension tables to the right of the blade...whether left or right tilt.
Chris

Well, that's the way saws work. :-)

Yeah, I know, and I never could figure that out. A good way to illustrate the insanity of that setup is to picture your left-tilt saw with the long extension tables, rail, and fence on the left side of the blade. Makes just as much sense -- that is, none at all -- to put them all on the right side of a right-tilt saw.
--
Regards,