Left tilt vs. right tilt table saw

Since either a Delta 36-717 or 36-720 hybrid saw is in the works, how about a gentle discussion of pros and cons of each. Other than the tendency to bind being eliminated on a left tilt, anything else?

tia Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Burnett

Isn't that enough? Jim

Reply to
Jim

If you search the achieves of this group, you will find more discussion on that topic than you will likely be able to read today. Not only has that dead horse been beaten, it has been totally mutilated here.

Reply to
CW

Why should it bind? Just move the fence to the other side - or is there a reason to prefer the fence on the right?

I don't really have a preference - my saw *table* tilts, so I tend to use an angled sled on the rare occasions I make an angled cut, or even cut square and then use the jointer (which has a tilting fence)

Reply to
bigegg

You might check to be sure either of these are available in right tilt. It seems some of the new models are not. I've used a right tilt for 25 years and I think it's just a matter of preference. It would take me a while to get used to a left tilt but I'm sure I could adjust.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

The only real advantage I see in one or the other is caused by the tendency of saw manufacturers to put their long extension tables on the right-hand side, regardless of which way the arbor tilts. Since the longest side is the side where the fence will spend most of its time, that should be the side away from the tilt: to the right on a left-tilt saw, to the left on a right-tilt saw.

There's no inherent "tendency to bind" on a right-tilt saw if used properly, which means not tilting the blade toward the fence. Unfortunately, on a right-tilt saw, typically the long side of the extension table (and by implication the fence) will be to the right.

So... given the way saw manufacturers typically put saws together, I'd go for left-tilt. But as far as I can see, the only reason for favoring a left-tilt saw with the long table and the fence on the right, over a right-tilt saw with the long table and fence on the *left* (or the other way around) is simply personal preference.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course, it shouldn't if the fence is aligned correctly. Every now and then, though, things are not as correct as they should be. Having the blade tilt away from the wide part of the work helps avoid the situation where the work gets trapped between the blade and the fence. Of course, I am assuming that the table extensions are on the right hand side of the saw. Lefties would prefer them on the left hand side, and for them, the argument falls apart. Eventually, most of the discussions come down to what the operator is most comfortable with. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, having the blade tilt away from the fence does eliminate the bind problem if things are a bit out of line. Instead, the stock climbs up the back of the blade and is pushed away from the fence and back where, if you are fast and talented, you can easily catch it in your teeth.

Reply to
CW

Sorry - I actually meant that if the blade tilts to the right, then the fence should be on the left. I wasn't referring to the possibility the fence wasn't aligned.

Every now and

I don't have a permanently attached extension table either - my saw table is a 3ft wide piece of 1" Worktop with the blade set centrally. I have a seperate wheeled cabinet at the same height which can be moved side to side as neccessary.

Surely the blade should tilt toward the fixed extension table, regardless of which side that actually is?

PS, I'm right handed, but I prefer the extension table on the left.

Reply to
bigegg

Man it has been a long time since I have posted this but here goes. Keep in mind that with a hybrid there may be more differences but here are the most common reasons to go one way or the other if you are completely neutral and need a push.

;~) The single most asked question in this group that I paste this rubber stamp answer to. Both saws will make all the same cuts. Some easier on the left tilt, some easier on the right tilt. Strictly personal preference. But if you need to be steered one way or the other, Advantages: Are you right handed? Get the left tilt.

  1. Commonly the Left tilt has the bevel wheel on the right side and is easily turned with your Right hand.
  2. Left tilt can rip a narrow bevel with out having to move the fence to the left side of the blade.
  3. Left tilt allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your right hand.
  4. Left tilt allows your to remove the arbor nut and turn it in the direction that you would expect.
  5. With a Left tilt, when both edges of a board are beveled, the sharp point of the bevel is up on the fence when cutting the second bevel as opposed to the bottom of the fence where it might slip under.
  6. RIGHT tilt if you are left handed. The bevel wheel is commonly on the left side of the saw.
  7. RIGHT tilt if you "must" use the fence distance indicator when using a stacked dado blade set. The blades stack left, away from the fence. The indicator remains accurate. On the left tilt, the blades stack towards the fence and makes the indicator inaccurate. In this case use a tape measure to set the fence distance.
  8. RIGHT tilt allows you to remove the arbor nut with your left hand but the nut must be turned clockwise to loosen. Bassackwards to normalcy. If considering a cabinet saw, with wide 50" rip capacity. The Left tilt will most often afford you the most storage room under the right table extension. The RIGHT tilt has an access door in that location that will demand room to open. The left tilt allows you to have access to the motor and or the insides of the cabinet from the more open left side of the saw with out having to crawl under the right extension table. Very nice if you ever happen to drop the arbor nut inside the cabinet. If you are considering getting a replacement saw and considering going to the opposite tilt this time consider that the miter slots may not be the same distance from the blade when comparing a left to right tilt saw. This may or may not be of concern but something to consider.
Reply to
Leon

OK. In addition to putting the fence on the left, you should put the extensions on the left. Lefties would be very comfortable with such an arrangement. Jim

Reply to
Jim

That's an excellent point. I remember having this problem years ago. I think this has tilted me toward a left-tilt since I've been happy with the fence on the right for almost 30 years.

Thanks to everyone who posted their comments. btw, the 36-717 is left tlt; the 36-720 is the same saw with right tilt. Both come with a Biesemeyer BC-30 fence

N.

Reply to
Nigel Burnett

No, it's not. Whether the sharp corners of the bevels are up or down has nothing to do with which way the saw tilts. It depends only on whether the operator puts the fence on the correct side of the tilt, or not.

The correct side is whichever side is away from the tilt: right of the blade on a left-tilt saw, left of the blade on a right-tilt saw.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Considering that the majority of table saws have the panels set up to the right of the blade, your viewpoint as to the side the fence rests on comes into question. IF someone wants to spend several hours reversing the rails and moving the fence, then you might be right, but as it stands, you're not.

Reply to
Upscale

Since we're totally picking nits, that's not exactly true.

Using the fence on the short side of the saw changes the way the operator makes the cut, as well as limiting the capacity (width) of panels that can be beveled.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Some good advice follows, and some not-so-good advice, follows ...

Agreed.

Agreed -- but with a right-tilt saw, the natural position of the fence should be left of the blade *anyway*.

And a right-tilt saw allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your left hand. Which is natural if you're left-handed. In which case you're better off with a right-tilt saw.

And this differs from a right-tilt saw *how*? "The direction you would expect" is the direction that the blade spins, in all cases, regardless of the type of saw.

That's a problem with a right-tilt saw *only* if you have the fence on the wrong side of the blade. Put the fence on the wrong side of the blade on a left-tilt saw, and you have the same problem. Regardless of the tilt of the saw, the correct side is away from the tilt, and the wrong side is toward the tilt.

Agreed.

That isn't a problem for those of us who are able to add and subtract fractions correctly.

If you're concernead about accuracy, a steel rule is a better idea than a tape measure.

IOW... in the direction that the blade rotates. Never mind CW or CCW, just remember that the nut loosens in the same direction the blade rotates, and you'll never have a problem.

Of course, on a right-tilt saw, the table extension *and* the fence belong on the left, so this really shouldn't be an issue.

The slots may not be the same distance anyway, even if the tilt *is* the same. Different manufacturers put them in different places sometimes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, I am. My comments applied to one _specific_ type of cut, not to general use of the saw as you appear to have assumed.

I'll restore the parts that you snipped (but apparently did not read the first time):

Reply to
Doug Miller

Perhaps you see pointing out unsafe practices (such as cutting bevels on the wrong side of the tilt) as "picking nits".

I don't.

True enough -- which is one reason that I'm completely mystified by anyone putting the long side of the saw *toward* the tilt.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What? Doug's always right. If you don't believe it, just ask him. He'll tell you.

Reply to
CW