Left or right tilt tablesaw?

Page 1 of 2

I'm in the market for a new cabinet saw and was wondering if I should consider a left tilt or not. Seems like it would come in handy but I've never used one so I'm looking for input.
Bryan
DamnYankee wrote:

Yes
I'm in the market for a new TS also. If you google for left vs. right tilt you'll find more info than you'll ever need to make the decision. My current is a right tilt. I see no real reason to switch to left as it apppears the miter slots aren't the same distance from the blade on a left tilt, therefore my jigs won't work on the different tilt. Good luck, --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:
...top posting corrected...

For new purchase, it's mostly a religious question, not technical. One gets adjusted to what one has--being a PM66 owner of nearly 30 years I am, of course, of the LHT persuasion... :)
This answer is one of the reasons I asked the question. I never thought about the jigs. Thanks Dave!
Bryan
DamnYankee wrote:

But if you don't yet have a TS, I'd assume you don't have a supply of jigs ready made? :)
The only commercial one I'm aware of that really makes a difference is the old, <heavy, commercial> (not the $100 one, the nearly $300 one) Delta tenoning jig that won't clear a left tilt blade.

;~) The single most asked question in this group that I paste this rubber stamp answer to. Both saws will make all the same cuts. Some easier on the left tilt, some easier on the right tilt. Strictly personal preference. But if you need to be steered one way or the other, Advantages: Are you right handed? Get the left tilt. 1. Commonly the Left tilt has the bevel wheel on the right side and is easily turned with your Right hand. 2. Left tilt can rip a narrow bevel with out having to move the fence to the left side of the blade. 3. Left tilt allows the blade arbor nut to be removed with your right hand. 4. Left tilt allows your to remove the arbor nut and turn it in the direction that you would expect. 5. With a Left tilt, when both edges of a board are beveled, the sharp point of the bevel is up on the fence when cutting the second bevel as opposed to the bottom of the fence where it might slip under. 6. RIGHT tilt if you are left handed. The bevel wheel is commonly on the left side of the saw. 7. RIGHT tilt if you "must" use the fence distance indicator when using a stacked dado blade set. The blades stack left, away from the fence. The indicator remains accurate. On the left tilt, the blades stack towards the fence and makes the indicator inaccurate. In this case use a tape measure to set the fence distance. 8. RIGHT tilt allows you to remove the arbor nut with your left hand but the nut must be turned clockwise to loosen. Bassackwards to normalcy. If considering a cabinet saw, with wide 50" rip capacity. The Left tilt will most often afford you the most storage room under the right table extension. The RIGHT tilt has an access door in that location that will demand room to open. The left tilt allows you to have access to the motor and or the insides of the cabinet from the more open left side of the saw with out having to crawl under the right extension table. Very nice if you ever happen to drop the arbor nut inside the cabinet. If you are considering getting a replacement saw and considering going to the opposite tilt this time consider that the miter slots may not be the same distance from the blade when comparing a left to right tilt saw. This may or may not be of concern but something to consider.
Great answer Leon. I appreciate the repost.
I know I could have done a search to find the answer but with all the "garbage" on the group lately, I thought it might be nice to get another woodworking related thread going. Thanks again.
Bryan
This is like arguing which is best, Ford or Chevy
Either one will work fine, but personally I like my left tilt saw
However, realize that typically with a left tilt saw, using a dado blade thows the fence calibration off, as you will be adding the extra cutters/blades/etc on the right side of the blade (ie, the same side the fence is typically on) and that will make the fence scale zero actaully read something like 3/4in
However, since the blade tilts to the left, doing bevel cuts will be much safer as you cannot trap the cutoff between the blade and fence like you can with a right tilt machine
John

snipped-for-privacy@interoz.com wrote:

Maybe the cold medicine is dulling my brain (likely) but if a Right Tilt saw had the extension table on the left side, wouldn't bevels be safe to cut?
Then the stacking dado thing, would that not work out okay also?
Wes