Left Handed Woodbench

Hi all

as you guess from the subject i'm a lefty and i want to build myself a traditional style workbench, most i've seen have the tail vice on the right, would i be better off building it arse about and putting the tail vice on the left so that planing is against a fixed dog instead of pushing against a tail vice.

I can plane in either direction, just feel more comfortable planing to the right, but get a good quality cut in either direction.

cheers Dee

Reply to
Dee

Are you going to be the only one using the bench? Would the bench layout you're proposing have any effect on you workshop layout? Any possibility of your selling it in the future? (Traditional would probably be worth more) Your comfort is what counts in the end. I'd go with that barring any other considerations.

Reply to
Upscale

If you can use it from either direction, I'd go with the right side..

Personally, (I'm also correct handed), I'd rather turn the screw with my right hand when clamping and use my "good" hand to align the stock, mess with bench dogs, etc... Sort of like on the computer... I can't see dedicating my beer drinking hand to using the mouse, so I keep it on the right side.. Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

Yes.

Advice from another lefty :-).