Lee Valley StopLoss Bags

Anyone use these bags for storage of finish material? I have two, one for their polymerized tung oil finish, and one for polymerized tung oil sealer. Have used them for a few months and they work well to keep the oil out of contact with air. This morning noticed that the cap on the sealer had separated top from sides. I emailed Lee Valley, asking for a replacement cap. Their reply was that they would check on availability and price for a cap and let me know.

Perhaps the plastic in the cap is not as resistant to finish as the bag itself. I'll use a cork before buying a replacement cap.

Reply to
G. Ross

I use boxes of wine. My BIL gave me about 20 or so. they are great. sorry the LV was not up to snuff.

Reply to
woodchucker

I simply turn the can upside down so that the part that goes bad is on the bottom when you open the can. Much less hassle for me. For longer periods I add Bloxygen before sealing he can and turning upside down.

Reply to
Leon

The bag is great for small quantities, which is what I use. They emailed me back, the replacement cap is 50 cents. I will use a silicone stopper.

Reply to
G. Ross

It's good that you let them know - if it's a widespread quality control issue - they can switch products or try to have the manufacturer make amends or improvements. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I had already talked to them about the bags. It is a trick to get all the air out without squishing the finish out. I told them they should have a duck-bill valve in the neck of it to keep the air from coming back it. Doubt they did it.

Reply to
G. Ross

thats why the wine boxes are great. you open the valve squeeze the air out and close the valve.

I have noticed that latex paint stays without separating like a can.

my shellac lasts a long time.

Reply to
woodchucker

replying to G. Ross, Tom wrote: G Ross, just saw your posting for the first time. Please go to

and leave a message with your address. They'll happily send a replacement.

Reply to
Tom

I just replaced the cap with a silicone stopper.

Reply to
G. Ross

replying to G. Ross, t schrunk wrote: Please let us know of any cap problems at www.stoplossbags. We wish the bags to be problem free and will send you replacement caps. Please include name and address.

Reply to
t schrunk

My solution to finish hardening on top in the can is to turn the can upside down with a little Bloxygen on top before putting on the lid. If the contents hardens it is on the bottom.

Reply to
Leon

How did I not know about this stuff!?

But why do you flip the can if you don't have to? If anything hardens on the lid, so what. If it hardens on the bottom, then you're kicking it up when stirring, no?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Man I just reread what I wrote. I put the lid on before turning upside down. Whew! LOL

The finish does not harden on the lid, it hardens at the top of the product inside the can, below the lid. Bloxegen helps to displace air.

I use a lot of gel varnishes and they tend to harden on top in a relatively short time compared to liquid products. I seldom stir gels after the first time when opening the first time. After that they take a loooong time to separate. This probably explains why this works best for me.

I place the lid on the can and slam the can upside down on the work bench to seat the lid. The slamming action also forces the gel inside to fall to the lid and the open space in the can is now at the top-bottom of the can. I store the can upside down so that when I reopen the can the fresh product is now at the top. The hard stuff is now at the bottom of the can.

As for liquid products that have to be stirred, pour into another container being careful not to let the hard stuff come out.

Bloxygen might be the best solution to keep the air away from the product inside the can. I THINK it is heavier than air.

Reply to
Leon

It's argon and argon quite a bit heavier than air. You probably don't have to flip the can, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Bottom of the can or bottom of the *product* once the can is turned right side up?

Is the hard stuff hanging off the physical bottom of the can when it is upside down or sitting on "top" of the product while the can is upside down?

If the liquid has to be stirred, that must mean that it separates. Isn't whatever you pour out a "different" product than what was originally in the container when new? I can't imagine that the ratio of ingredients is the same in the pourable portion vs. the hardened portion. It must have separated somewhat prior to hardening, don't you think?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I use wine box bags. Work great, I've used stuff that is 10-15 years old w/o a problem. Everyone tells me that plastic bags don't work. Ok, believe what you want. My BIL drinks a lot of wine, he had to swear off beer because it started bothering him, so my wife told him I was looking for the boxes, and he gave me 20-30 in one shot. Just clean them up, fill, and squeeze the air out.

Reply to
woodchucker