Lee valley spoke shave kit

Page 1 of 2
Hi guys, I just received a box of stuff in the mail for our business but also tagged on a goodie for me.
Has anyone yet put together the spoke shave kit and if so what are the opinions, things too look out for etc.
Thanks for a great kit Robin.
TTYL, James.
One of our members made this spokeshave and published a report on our website La Mortaise.com. If you can read in french, here is the report: http://www.lamortaise.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=4
Claude

The above URL addy can be copied-and-pasted into this site and translated (not quite perfectly) I just tested it: http://babelfish.altavista.com /
Alex
http://www.lamortaise.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=4

Umm, if you went to the effort of the translation, you could have posted it for all to see.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lamortaise.com%2Fmodules.php%3Fname%3DReviews%26rop%3Dshowcontent%26id%3D4&lp=fr_en
Watch the wrap though.
Thanks for the link AArDvarK.
From the translation: "My choice stopped on a part of amaranth; they sold also parts of ebony for $5. Not much but enough to make some soles of spokeshaves. "
I had been thinking about using maple but the small size required makes an exotic material quite appealing :-)

Le URL ci-dessus addy (adresse) peut copier-et-tre coll dans cet emplacement et traduit (pas tout fait parfaitement) je l'ai juste examin : http://babelfish.altavista.com /
Alex

Coo, thanks for the link Claude!

<snip>
...and if ya can't read in french - you can just count the stars at the bottom...:)
Cheers -
Rob (qui parle francais..)
Wow, five out of ten stars! ;-)
I guess it says good stuff about it, but, my French reading is usually done on a bottle.
BTW Rob, there seems to be a price war on your stuff here in Oz at the moment - what's going on?
--
Groggy (*****)

Hi Greg -
Haven't seen what you're referring to....but will scope it out...
We ARE trying to get our prices down in both UK and AUS markets though...we'll be dropping prices to distributors in both countries soon....
In general though, I think retailers are starting to move away from a fixed percentage margin pricing strategy, to one of a unit (or transaction) margin contribution model. (If that makes sense to you!)
Keep in mind too that there've been some fairly large swings in exchange rates too....and that takes awhile to work through the system...
Cheers -
Rob
What company are you talking about?
Alex

Alex,
Rob Lee is the President of Lee-Valley Tools Pty Ltd. He takes the time to drop in here quite often to assist with questions on his products.
Rob has set up direct pay deposit into his web catalogs for a number of wreckerites and I suspect is the ultimate beneficiary of North American, Canadian and some Australian Will payments and Tax returns.
Give your wallett to your wife, then look here:
http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp
Welcome to the Pauper's Guild (aka The Wreck)
Greg

Oh thanks for that info, yes I have seen the site and gone through it a lot. Havn't bought anything yet, just studying it all as a newby to my new future small hobby. Thus I am: "fetus of neanderthalonian galoot", unborn yet in our strange continuum. I am a large man however.... does the the 'Pauper's Guild' have a website?
Thanks,
Alex
"AArDvarK" wrote in message ...

The reference to the 'Pauper's Guild' was an attempt at humor. ie once you start buying from Lee Valley you become a pauper like the rest of us.
Greg
http://www.harborfreight.com/
There you go broke by buying the same over and over.

Exactly George, exactly... with their mountains of overpriced and dangerous* Chinese garbage...
Alex

Umm, just don't fix it, OK? A price war is fine by me - it seems to be revolving around Carba-Tec and Timbecon.
cheers,
Greg
Mr. Lee hello, off topic on this question, I just bought the book you sell "stanley combination planes" refering to 45, 45, & 55, on eBay having no idea that it is your publication and never saw it on your site. He has them up for sale at a buy it now cost of $9.95 and you sell them for $3.95, as printed in Canada, all the sellers of this book are in Canada so something funny such as side selling is going on up there I think... is it legal? Because I feel I waas ripped off, left him a negative fedback too.
Alex
Alex writes:

AFAIK, what the seller did was legal. He bought, probably at retail, a $4.95 book and sold it to you at $9.95. No law anywhere against that. I'm getting rid of some things at a yard sale today, and if I can find anyone here willing to pay above retail for my old things, it's legal.
Obviously, your seller had his eye, as it were, open for unwary buyers, people who had not checked out Lee Valley's Classic Reprint series. Those books are a treasure trove, IMO. I don't know what Rob Lee's criteria are for selection--beyond the obvious involvement with woodworking and being out of copyright--but I hope he doesn't change them. There's a lot of good material being returned to public view.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
    Greetings and Salutations
wrote:

    I always get a chuckle when I read negative feedbacks that say, in essence..."I paid too much for this item". It is hardly a slam against the seller, but, more an admission of laziness on the part of the buyer. As long as the seller is not misrepresenting the item as being worth more than it is...say, by claiming this copy of the book was used by Roy Underhill himself, and, has drips of blood on it to prove it, it is perfectly legal for them to sell it to you for ANY amount you are willing to pay. Perhaps now, having learned that lesson, you will be educated enough to spend a few minutes using google to research what the item you are bidding on is REALLY "worth". There are a bunch of sources for books, used and new, and all discounted, on the Net. It is my habit to check there FIRST before diving into Ebay.     I had the same experience recently, in that a friend and I were looking for a DVD writer for his system. Ebay prices started at $76 and rapidly went up. I did a quick net search and found a shop out West that was willing to ship us the drive for $82, including UPS shipping. That ended up being at LEAST $5 cheaper than Ebay, and, it took about three days less to get it.     I don't necessarily agree you should have left negative feedback for the seller. If they provided you with exactly what was advertised in the auction listing, and did it in a timely fashion after you paid for it, they have fulfilled their part of the contract, and, should be given positive or, at worst, neutral, feedback.     Nobody holds a gun to your head and forces you to bid on an item on Ebay. What you pay is YOUR decision. If they have misrepresented the item, or not shipped it, or, shipped an empty box...perhaps you would have a reason...     Ah well...what is done is done, I suppose. And, having said all that, I also can certainly understand the burst of embarressment and anger at realizing that I have screwed myself. At least it was not a $1000 item!     Regards and best wishes for a happy 4th of July.     Dave Mundt