Lee Valley Shows its True Colo(u)rs

Page 2 of 2

Who cares what he said a few years ago. Things change. The economy certainly has.
Sounds like your beef is with Mr. Lee so you should take it up with him, not us. No one here can change the policy, but he can.

You always have the option to not do business with Lee Valley, but then it would be heads they win and tails you loose also.
I shop around, watch for sales and find the best price I can and leave it at that.. I just bought a Veritas twin screw vise for a new workbench project from Lee Valley. I found other stores that sell it, but all were more expensive. Lee Valley's current free shipping was enough of a bonus for me.. Other things I buy elsewhere.. Doesn't do much good to get ticked about price changes in a particular store.. Just let supply and demand principle take care of that..

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:05:40 -0800 (PST), JohnD
[...snip...]

One possible explanation of why Lee Valley is doing differently today than several years ago: a larger percentage of their business is Internet driven, therefore they are comfortable changing prices before the next catalog comes out. Perhaps most if not all customers can check prices on the web site and are comfortable doing so. A few years ago, that was likely less true.

Houses around here that were selling for $300,000 a few months ago are now offered at $225,000 with no takers.
Does that indicate anything to you?
Businesses have to change policies to meet fiscal conditions. The fact that Robin Lee didn't ask your permission to make a business decision seems to be really griping your ass. I suggest you thus don't do business with them. Find what they sell elsewhere, at similar reasonable prices with the same customer service. Good luck in that search. You'll need it.

Hi John -
I missed this this thread....
At the risk of screwing up your rant by interjecting the truth, I do have to say that we have been dropping prices overall (in Canada) for four years. In fact, last year we dropped them twice - fall 2007, and a second mass mid-year drop in Jan 2008.... we just don't print price changes for drops....
During the same period - our prices in the US market were rising (they had a Jan 2008 increase), and our difficultly had been that we couldn't raise them fast enough. Of course - when a consumer views an exchange difference (outside of current rates) they tend to interpret it from a narrow perspective... During the period the Canadian dollar appreciated, our revenues dropped from US sales (they converted into fewer CAD), and dropped in Canada (from lowered prices). For four years we (and other businesses) were caught in that squeeze.
I'd like nothing more than stable exchange rate - but failing that - we'll just keep doing what necessary to stay in business.
Have a good one....
Rob Lee Frankly - our prices reflect our costs, and our desire to stay in business