Lee Valley Router bit quality?

I'd like to know how you would rate the quality of the router bits Lee Valley sells (the green ones). I use the Dimar ones and occasionally some Freud and I'm very satisfied with them.

The problem with Dimar and Freud is they're darn expensive and aren't easily "collectible" with bits ranging from 50$ to 125$, sometimes more. On the other hand, I can't convice myself of buying those cheapie sets of 66 bits for 80$ though.

The LV ones seems easier on the budget but are they up to the requirements of a serious hobbyist?

Thanks for any opinions!

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

I've not owned any so hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will come along. But if the $1k + worth of stuff I've bought from them over the past few years is any indication, I'd say you probably can't go wrong. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I've bought 2 or 3 straight bits from LV, as well as a few of the dovetail bits.

I'm re-entering the hobby again after a long hiatus. When I was doing woodworking previously I bought cheaper bits (on a fairly regular basis as I'm hard on bits)

I'm very pleased with the bits. Because I've got limited exposure to the more expensive bits, I can't contrast with the likes of Freud. However, I figure anyone who abuses bits like I do who can make the LV bits last for as long as I have, has found something that is affordable and has reasonable quality.

66 bits for $80 sounds too good to be true, and we all know what that means.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

A half dozen or so router bits that I own came from Lee Valley Tools and they're all still working fine after 10 years. That includes the rail and stile bits I bought over 15 years ago.

Reply to
Upscale

I was at the Canadian Home Woodshop Show in Toronto last weekend and believe it or not, I've seen such special. A huge aluminum box with 66 router bits with a 1/2" chank offered at 80$-89$ IRC.

They looked not bad at all. They were painted orange, the carbide blades were thin but they were angled to help the cutting action. All in all and even though I'm not a cheap stuff buyer, I kept telling myself "How can I go wrong?". I finally decided to stick to my motto "buy good stuff only" but was it the right decision?

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

They work for me. I have a few of them and they are still cutting just fine. I've not done any side by side testing with other brand, nor do I intend to, but they do the job. I'll order more as I need them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski