Lee Valley optical center punch

Page 4 of 6
Steve wrote:

OK, I'll use a better example:
"I always have a glass of my orange juice with breakfast"
This is closer to what she says... but I don't really record it all for fear it will corrupt my own language skills :-)
<big snip>

ROFL! Nice job.
Kevin Fleming writes:

Here, it's "your." Here's "your" weather report, etc. Ain't mine. I is just watching.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

If you are talking about TV, there is the familiar "I'll see you tomorrow at 6 pm." The hell he will, my TV has not hidden camera in it. I checked!
Charlie Self wrote:

The use of Your is one of my pet peeves also.
Seems everything has now become 'your'. When 'your' trying to get a bill passed in congress, or when 'your' going into a turn at Charlotte at 190, or when 'your' doing or experiencing anything ... I could go on for ever. Very rarely is 'your' used in a proper context.
It as if the speaker is trying to distance themselves from their actions or trying to include the passive observer.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

And your examples are no exception. You're trying to paint the wrong word with a wide brush. I don't disagree with your assessment about the misuse of certain words, but you're going at it the wrong way. I hope the preceding has illustrated my point.
There is a big difference between the possessive "your" and the contraction for you are; "you're." All of your examples were supposed to be contractions. Read them aloud to yourself but speak them as "you are" instead of "your/you're" and you'll see what I mean.

If you're talking about "your..."
I think I mentioned before the "there/their/they're" group as equally frequently misapplied.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Dan
Dan said:

I think he lost it when impaling the head of STEMO, and it wandered back to NYC.
Greg G.
Mark wrote:

Mine is "of." Somebody here did that just recently.
"OF" IS NOT A VERB!!!!!!!!!!!
should of, would of, etc.
I really get annoyed by things like "we should of went"
Then again, the thing about language is that it changes all the time, and it's a product of the people who speak it. I'll bet some day in the distant future "your" will mean "you are" and "of" will mean "have." Verb conjugation will be greatly simplified, and all these misconjugated irregular verbs like "blowed" and "knowed" will be normalized.
It will be appalling.
Still, the *vast* majority of people don't know any better, and a good case can be made that many of these things I've mentioned are already a /de facto/ part of vernacular American English.
On 28 Dec 2003 18:35:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote: [snip] | |Here, it's "your." Here's "your" weather report, etc. Ain't mine. I is just |watching.
And during "my" weather report I might learn that I'm in for some shower "activity."
Wes Stewart writes:

Yes. And they're telling you what the "tempachur" is going to be, during the "twenny-four" hours coming up.
Charlie Self
On 29 Dec 2003 08:57:52 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

No, they'll say "There's many reasons why we are going to try and tell you what the tempachur is going to be, during the twenny-four hours coming up, y'know?"
(I'll bet that would have gone PSA over 80% of heads here if we hadn't recently discussed it.)
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
Worse yet is the nurse in the hospital who says, "It's time for our shot now." Our shot?
Glen

MMM, smell the fresh content...
I was in conversation with my son. His retort when requested to detoxify his playroom was as follows: "I am neglected, underprivileged, and generally put-upon." He is five years of age.
I heartily anticipate adolescent speech.
Warmest regards, Jenny
P.S. Many expressions of slang are nerve-racking. Please find following an exemplary list: 1. Take me with./ I want to go with. With what? An elephant? 2. Farther/Further 3. Regardless of presidential position, an individual does not have editing rights to the dictionary or its syl-LA-bles. 4. Contractions customarily end words. Jeet yet. Nuff said.

I read a story once about a reporter for (I think) the NY Times who had written a story in which he confused the words "burro" and "burrow." His editor sent him a note saying:
"A burro is an ass. A burrow is a hole in the ground. You are expected to know the difference."
I don't think they make editors -- or reporters -- like they used to.
Okay, I've got the KING BIG DADDY of 'em all:
Irregardless. Ne?
The you're/your is also a big one for me. As is they're/their/there.
However, as a young person, I have gone through the like, you know, language phase, okay? I just taught myself not to talk that way anymore. I did that the same way I taught myself to use the f-word at least 3 times every sentence in the Marine Corps. I also taught myself to stop doing that.
Do y'all (that's a _word_, I don't care what y'all say) think it has a lot to do with present company? Do kids (or can they) speak one way in the chic lingo of the day, and speak to rational humans in English?
-Phil Crow
(Charlie Self)

The closer proximity of the 'r' key to the 'e' key on a standard keyboard often leads me to mistype an 'r' after an 'e' even though I know better. As in 'planer' instead of 'plane'. Oftent the result is a real word so it does not stand out when proofreading or spell checking.
--

FF

Didn't this group used to be about woodworking?
(Charlie Self)

Oh, shaddup!
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:38:32 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Nahmie, you should have hit him with the "Wood is endangered so we are doing our parts to conserve it. Talk about wood is reserved for weekend days, A.M. ONLY, please."
"Thank you for your immediate compliance."
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. http://diversify.com
Is that kinda like the new US policy - the forrests are full of combustibles?
Renata
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 04:55:40 GMT, Larry Jaques

smart, not dumb for email