Lee Valley optical center punch

Page 2 of 6
Dan wrote...

No, it's not wrong. The apostrophe is fine in examples like Sylvan's "straight A's."
Jim

There, see? They changed it while I wasn't looking again! In high school I was told in no uncertain terms, it's straight As, not A's, it's SATs, not SAT's, and now here's you, and this guy: http://newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/a.html
Ya take your eyes off the grammar book for a measly ten or twenty years and look what happens. :-)
Dan wrote...

(G) So true, so often! I don't know whether this one has really changed, but your point is well taken. This particular rule, for as long as I can remember, has been that the apostrophe is used when needed to prevent confusion. So it's in the I's and A's, but not necessarily in the SATs.
Of course, Jack Lynch's "house style" is the best answer. Accordingly, SAT's and 1960's -- which Mr. Lynch abhors -- are fine by some authorities and are optional, if not preferred, according to others.
To quote Mr. Lynch again, "The so-called rules of English grammar and style were not spoken by a burning bush; they're just guidelines about what's likely to be effective. If you learn to treat them that way, you'll live a happier life." Sage advice, I think.
Jim
On 28 Dec 2003 06:58:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I seriously doubt it. They don't teach the difference between nouns and verbs either, apparently.
My personal pet peeve in this area is the inappropriate use of the word "router", as in "I'm going to router a groove in it." "Router" is a noun and describes the tool, while "rout" is the verb and describes the action performed with the (noun) tool.
Inattention to detail seems to be the order of the day, and greatly detracts from our ability to communicate.
LP writes:

Like, yaknowwhadImean.
I listened to one of my granddaughters over the holidays. I used to tease her about having a speech impediment, overuse o fthe word "like." I can no longer tease her about it, because it now seems to be an ACTUAL impediment. Every third word is the best she can do right now. When you say anything to her about it making her speech hard to understand, she says, "Well, you know what I mean."
Not really and, in truth, with her and others like her, I refuse to expend the energy to figure out what she is saying.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self said:

Is she a valley girl? Like, don't have like a cow man. <g>
Greg G.
On 28 Dec 2003 08:39:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I'm fighting this fight with my eleven year old daughter. I've told her that she can talk like a child to other children but must do better when talking to me.
I've encouraged her to think of it as being bilingual.
So far, I'm winning.
We'll see...
Regards,
Tom Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson (real email is tjwatsonATsnipDOTnet)
Tom Watson responds:

Good luck. My granddaughter is now 14, and the impediment has gotten worse each year...day?
It isn't being bilingual, though: I think these kids talk to each other like that to fill up time, because they have nothing to say that is important enough for clear speech and don't know enough to STFU.
Charlie Self
Tom. I went through that with my youngest daughter. I've made headway, but now have to work on her "upspeak" (finishing each statement with a rising tone, as though asking a question). Perhaps kids need to become multilingual, with varying pronunciation : )
Rob
---------------------
"Tom Watson" wrote ...

Specter writes:

Oh, lord, not again! That was the ne plus ultra of TV speak about a decade ago, and came close to driving me totally batshit...the TV stations around the Roanoke Valley are excellent (especially compared to the TV station here), but even the damned national newscasters got into that one. I thought it was long gone, dead, buried and rotted away, but evidently the skeleton is rising.
Charlie Self
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

This one time, at band camp.... LOL

The most frequently used teenager verb (conjugated below):
"I was like..." "He was like...." "She was like...." "They were like...." "We were like..."
Lasts well into the twenties......
Cheers -
Rob
Except in those cases where "were", "was" and "be" are used interchangeably.
Generally followed by the most important punctuation device in the modern lexicon: "... you know."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03
Swingman wrote:

That's the battle I'm fighting with my daughter. She can't really help it, because it's the local vernacular. However, I grew up here too, dammit, and I can conjugate the verb "to be" correctly.
I've been trying to find a programmable shock collar that will give her a jolt every time she says "you was" or "we was." :)
(No, no, no, settle down everybody, I'M JUST KIDDING!!!)

I know. :(
She be watching too much pro sports?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/23/03

A memorable quote after a Hagler-Hearns (IIRC) bout was stopped by the referee: "He didn't hurt me! I hurted *him*!"
Jim
Jim Wilson responds:

I be listening to a huddle pep talk a short while ago and couldn't understand a single word that didn't begin with F or M. And even those were badly slurred. Ah, Fox Channel.
Charlie Self
Swingman wrote:

No. She's not speaking Ebonics, she's speaking Hee Haw.
Silvan writes:

Another pet peeve: excess punctuation, especially exclamation points which are properly used almost never.
Charlie Self
Charlie Self wrote:

My constant, inappropriate overuse of periods of elipsis probably irritates you too...
Too many years of writing online have corrupted me...