Lee Valley optical center punch

Page 1 of 6
I was looking on the Lee Valley website last night for information on the large saddle square I found in my Christmas stocking. While browsing, I ran across their optical center punch. This gadget looks ingenious and might solve a delimma I've always had - marking the exact center for drilling a hole. I just got a new drill press and I get frustrated with having a device that will drill precisely, yet I cannot seem to get it lined up to start the hole in the right place. Parallax error is rampant when I try to do this.
Does anyone own or use one of these optical center punches? At $29.95, its well worth it if it does the job. Otherwise its a big waste of money.
Bob
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:02:44 GMT, "Bob Davis"

I have one, but seldom use it--a brad-point bit is pretty easy to line up on a marked dot or crossed line. I think it would work for you, though, so long as the surface being marked is dead flat. I used it recently to mark the mounting holes for the horizontal toolbar on my Tormek.
John Wadsworth
Bob Davis said:

Either Lee Valley or Garrett Wade sell a mechanical center point finder. You could make your own with a length of straight 1/4" steel rod sharpened to a point on one end. Set up time increases with the use of anything you have to chuck in and out, however. FWIW,
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote: [snip]

I have a starret center/edge finder that I use for mostly metal work. It is a 1/2" dia cylindrical body of steel that has a round cylinder at one end and a tapered point at the other. You can chuck that sucker up, put the point in your dimple and feel how the tapered point matches up with body. Some one with beter language skills may jump in to explain this better.
Wes