Lee Valley Heat gun?

Has anyone tried the variable temp lee valley heat gun? http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pe605&cat=1,44047&ap=1
Opinions...
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Haven't tried it but consider this one too, it's often on sale for $7.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html
On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 01:53:10 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

I used one of those last week to soften roofing shingles so I could extend the pumphouse for a client. I also used it 30 years ago to remove paint from my cupboard doors. I'd say I got my eight or ten bucks worth, don't you?
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
"Larry W" wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html-------------------------------- No metal feet to allow placing on bench in free hands mode.
I'd pass.
Lew
I wrote: -----------------------------

Searching around a little bit for the gun I bought 15-20 years ago for maybe $35 at Home Depot, and I finally found it.
Surprise, current price ranges from $100-$125.
That H/F unit starts looking better and better.
Add a couple of bent up coat hangers and you get a hands free unit.
Lew
On 11/24/10 8:39 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

For $20 what can you loose, never been disappointed by anything from LV.
Looks and specs out like a B&D I bought about 13 years ago for a comparable price, I have abused it and so did a friend of mine, still works, and I don't normally loan out tools.
--
Froz...

"tiredofspam" wrote: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pe605&cat=1,44047&ap=1

It's only 1,200 watts.
I'd pass.
Lew

And it doesn't have feet ...

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:08:31 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"

What, you guys don't own metal coathangers? Make a stand. Take ya 3 minutes, tops.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:39:48 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Grab one. Looks more useful than the cheaper ones, but the cheaper ones work just fine, too.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I have a 1500 watt 'Digital'(wtf?) Wagner. 35 bucks I think. That thing will light BBQ fires.

I have a 1500 watt 'Digital'(wtf?) Wagner. 35 bucks I think. That thing will light BBQ fires.
451F lights paper.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:03:02 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Yes, the digital, enhanced squarewave, billet Vogner is truly another advertising milestone product, such as Thom. WaterFail and MinWhacked WoodRuiner.
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim
The nice thing is that it seems totally temp adjust But as it is 1200 it is low..
On 11/24/2010 9:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:16:20 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:
[topposting corrected]

Why do you say that? It can reach 900F. If you need more heat, use a fookin' BLOWTORCH. I have one of these for weeds, not paint/wood. http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html
-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Propane torch with the right attachment is fine for paint.
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-three-burners-91899.html

I have one and have no complaints, but I've only used it a couple of times.
It worked great thawing the sprinkler manifold in the back yard when I was surprised by an early freeze a few weeks back.
On Nov 24, 8:39pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Other than the color, it appears to be identical to the HFT model - with the exception of the rotating damper (which restricts the incoming air - I suspect) that offers more consistency/control than blocking the ports with the palm of one's hand to increase the heat output.
I'm on my second HFT cheapie and I don't use them that often. First one lasted about five years of infrequent use and lots of laying about in a wooden box I made to hold it.
HFT sent out a 25% off any item coupon (good in stores or online) yeasterday so maybe you could get one from them for six dollars
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> writes:

I have been very happy with the "digital" multi-temperature heat gun from Harbor freight - I especially appreciate the auto-cool down feature.
It lists for $39.99 but I paid about $25 http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-heat-gun-with-digital-temperature-settings-97114.html