Lee Valley does it again!

Page 2 of 2
Just a little side note:
Last evening on television, I was watching "Discovery" a science program and they featured Lenord Lee. After Leonard retired from Lee Valley he opened a small design firm in Almonte Ontario. Just to the south of Ottawa. I believe the firms name is Canics. The firm primarily designs tools etc.
Leonard was approached by a medical doctor, who had previously purchase numerous items from Lee Valley. The doctor "who's name escapes me" asked Lenord to take a look at a problem he was having. The problem was the standard flat blade scalpal which was originally designed in 1915 and had several problems.
For example: The way the scalpal was held in the hand relied on the muscle control and nervous system of the forearm, which was not as responsive and lacked the sensitivity of the human hand. Likewise, for staff, changing the blade on the scalpal was a difficult and dangerous procedure.
End result; Leonard designed a more ergonomic handle with an ejection mechanism which would safely eject the blade when it was changed.
Leonard then went on to develope several other devices. One device was designed to hold surgical incisions open, during procedures while working alone, and/or without cluttering up the work area by requiring a second set of hands to assist or by using other instruments.
Another device was developed to do the opposite, by assisting with the closing of incisions during procedures and also closing surgical wounds gradually over a period of time, allowing the skin to strech. In effect, it eliminates the problem of sutures tearing out of the skin, when the skin has been stretched to close a wound. I thought I'd pass this along, simply because the contribution Leonard Lee and Lee Valley (Robin) have made is quite considerable, and frankly I thought the story was quite interesting.
Pat
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:21:12 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

Hey, this is great. Who else but Lee Valley would be pioneering a new era of do-it-yourself home surgery. Next time I need a surgical procedure I'll order the soon-to-be-released workbench to surgical table conversion kit and save myself $10,000 or more in medical bills.
SawDust wrote:

ejection
requiring
the
Leonard
It's
which is

that
Valley put

aren't
place I

Doctors aren't going to like that. You need to justify the extra guys in the OR so they can get paid! Featherbedding is not limited to the railroad...LOL

Greg Ostrom wrote:

As a representative of the International Brotherhood of Firemen and Caboose Cleaners I charge you with heresy.

Canica. THe web site includes a clip from the Discovery Channel.
http://www.canica.com /
Interesting stuff. I especially was impressed by the hand-holding jig that he designed based on Lee Valley super fridge magnets!
Mike
Good Stuff...! I'll have to take a look at the site.
I agree.
Pat