Lee Valley does it again!

Hiya Folks, I purchased their MKII sharpening system around 9-10 months ago. It's worked very well for me and I'm glad I plunked down the cash.

Today, I get a USPS Priority package in the mail from Lee Valley which is odd because I haven't ordered anything from them recently. Inside is a note explaining that several owners of the same sharpener requested some sort of cover for it. Consequently, Lee Valley put together a cover of nylon and sent me one. Even though I bought the thing ages ago. There aren't many companies that have this level of service.

As long as I'm buying stuff they sell, Lee Valley will be the first place I look! Thanks Rob!

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Dear Robin (Lee)

I just purchased a couple of the Grr-Ripper instructional DVDs from your web site. I don't think that they have shipped yet. If I , and several others, request a DVD player to go along with them, what are my odds of getting one? You could ship the items together to reduce shipping costs.

Who's with me?

Thank you, (Another satisfied customer in MN)

Eric

Disclaimer: The above was written tongue in cheek. It is not intended to be taken seriously.

Reply to
robdingnagian1

that's pretty impressive... what is most impressive to me is that they could have sent you a special deal at maybe 50% off as a "thank you" for being a customer, and you would probably think it was nice of them..

Good to see some companies still look for and appreciate repeat business and will spend the time & money needed to get it..

Reply to
mac davis

Just a little side note:

Last evening on television, I was watching "Discovery" a science program and they featured Lenord Lee. After Leonard retired from Lee Valley he opened a small design firm in Almonte Ontario. Just to the south of Ottawa. I believe the firms name is Canics. The firm primarily designs tools etc.

Leonard was approached by a medical doctor, who had previously purchase numerous items from Lee Valley. The doctor "who's name escapes me" asked Lenord to take a look at a problem he was having. The problem was the standard flat blade scalpal which was originally designed in 1915 and had several problems.

For example: The way the scalpal was held in the hand relied on the muscle control and nervous system of the forearm, which was not as responsive and lacked the sensitivity of the human hand. Likewise, for staff, changing the blade on the scalpal was a difficult and dangerous procedure.

End result; Leonard designed a more ergonomic handle with an ejection mechanism which would safely eject the blade when it was changed.

Leonard then went on to develope several other devices. One device was designed to hold surgical incisions open, during procedures while working alone, and/or without cluttering up the work area by requiring a second set of hands to assist or by using other instruments.

Another device was developed to do the opposite, by assisting with the closing of incisions during procedures and also closing surgical wounds gradually over a period of time, allowing the skin to strech. In effect, it eliminates the problem of sutures tearing out of the skin, when the skin has been stretched to close a wound. I thought I'd pass this along, simply because the contribution Leonard Lee and Lee Valley (Robin) have made is quite considerable, and frankly I thought the story was quite interesting.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

Hey, this is great. Who else but Lee Valley would be pioneering a new era of do-it-yourself home surgery. Next time I need a surgical procedure I'll order the soon-to-be-released workbench to surgical table conversion kit and save myself $10,000 or more in medical bills.

Reply to
mp

ejection

requiring

Leonard

Reply to
aswr

Doctors aren't going to like that. You need to justify the extra guys in the OR so they can get paid! Featherbedding is not limited to the railroad...LOL

Reply to
Greg Ostrom

Canica. THe web site includes a clip from the Discovery Channel.

stuff. I especially was impressed by the hand-holding jig that he designed based on Lee Valley super fridge magnets!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I think he only offers that service to his Canadianian customers.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Good Stuff...! I'll have to take a look at the site.

I agree.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

Hi Eric -

Sorry - but we don't do the tailed stuff....:)

BTW - I can't believe the price of DVD players... $39 CDN, with a remote, a cable, AND batteries for the remote...at that price - I'm surprised it came in a box....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

I was looking at grinder stands. Tractor Supply has a good looking one for $29.8?. I figured I could not buy the materials to build one for that. Dunno if it's boxed or not. Then, Homier (not a classy tool joint, but grinder stands aren't high tech) pops with one for under 20 bucks.

I'm sitting here scratching my head over which to buy, and then realized I need a new CD player for the shop. The grinder can sit on a bench for a few more weeks.

So I need to find the best 30 buck CD player in town. I already got snookered into a DVD player for the idjit box...we've used it twice for that, with the VCR part getting more use. Seems all the DVD movies, or all those we have, are letterboxed which my wife hates.

Ah well.

I won't even ask for recommendations on the CD player, because brand names on electronic gear have become totally meaningless.

Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

And what's _really_ impressive/surprising, is that they can make the darn thing in China (or wherever China is outsourcing jobs to these days), package it, ship it, warehouse it, ship it again, stock it, and sell it, and everyone along the line makes some money.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Charlie.

Some DVD players in the setup will allow you to select the video size format. Be it letterbox or a normal TV screen size. It's worth checking the DVD player setup.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

Alright. I'll show you.

If I order three Grr-Ripper systems from you at a savings of $10 each over everywhere else, I can buy my own DVD player at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or something. How do you like them apples? (US saying)

Eric

Reply to
robdingnagian1

This new beta Google thing took out the fact that my last message was a reply to Robin Lee.

Cheers back Robin,

Eric

Reply to
robdingnagian1

My older son, the computer geek, told me recently that Sony (?) will be releasing a new format /with/ /no/ /backward/ /compatability/ which will render most of those players obsolete VERY SOON.

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

Sounds like the DVD betamax

Reply to
robdingnagian1

Naw, they're bringing back 8 tracks.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

As a representative of the International Brotherhood of Firemen and Caboose Cleaners I charge you with heresy.

Reply to
Silvan