Lee Valley does it again!

Page 1 of 2
Hiya Folks, I purchased their MKII sharpening system around 9-10 months ago. It's worked very well for me and I'm glad I plunked down the cash.
Today, I get a USPS Priority package in the mail from Lee Valley which is odd because I haven't ordered anything from them recently. Inside is a note explaining that several owners of the same sharpener requested some sort of cover for it. Consequently, Lee Valley put together a cover of nylon and sent me one. Even though I bought the thing ages ago. There aren't many companies that have this level of service.
As long as I'm buying stuff they sell, Lee Valley will be the first place I look! Thanks Rob!
Cheers, cc
Dear Robin (Lee)
I just purchased a couple of the Grr-Ripper instructional DVDs from your web site. I don't think that they have shipped yet. If I , and several others, request a DVD player to go along with them, what are my odds of getting one? You could ship the items together to reduce shipping costs.
Who's with me?
Thank you, (Another satisfied customer in MN)
Eric
Disclaimer: The above was written tongue in cheek. It is not intended to be taken seriously.

I think he only offers that service to his Canadianian customers.

Hi Eric -
Sorry - but we don't do the tailed stuff....:)
BTW - I can't believe the price of DVD players... $39 CDN, with a remote, a cable, AND batteries for the remote...at that price - I'm surprised it came in a box....
Cheers -
Rob
Rob Lee writes:

I was looking at grinder stands. Tractor Supply has a good looking one for $29.8?. I figured I could not buy the materials to build one for that. Dunno if it's boxed or not. Then, Homier (not a classy tool joint, but grinder stands aren't high tech) pops with one for under 20 bucks.
I'm sitting here scratching my head over which to buy, and then realized I need a new CD player for the shop. The grinder can sit on a bench for a few more weeks.
So I need to find the best 30 buck CD player in town. I already got snookered into a DVD player for the idjit box...we've used it twice for that, with the VCR part getting more use. Seems all the DVD movies, or all those we have, are letterboxed which my wife hates.
Ah well.
I won't even ask for recommendations on the CD player, because brand names on electronic gear have become totally meaningless.
Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce
Hi Charlie.
Some DVD players in the setup will allow you to select the video size format. Be it letterbox or a normal TV screen size. It's worth checking the DVD player setup.
Pat
On 07 Dec 2004 22:25:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

And what's _really_ impressive/surprising, is that they can make the darn thing in China (or wherever China is outsourcing jobs to these days), package it, ship it, warehouse it, ship it again, stock it, and sell it, and everyone along the line makes some money.
Alright. I'll show you.
If I order three Grr-Ripper systems from you at a savings of $10 each over everywhere else, I can buy my own DVD player at Wal-Mart or Best Buy or something. How do you like them apples? (US saying)
Eric
This new beta Google thing took out the fact that my last message was a reply to Robin Lee.
Cheers back Robin,
Eric

My older son, the computer geek, told me recently that Sony (?) will be releasing a new format /with/ /no/ /backward/ /compatability/ which will render most of those players obsolete VERY SOON.
Gerry
Sounds like the DVD betamax
robdingnagian1 wrote:

Naw, they're bringing back 8 tracks.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

It's true that there's a new VHS vs. Beta thing coming for the next generation high definition big capacity discs, but Sony's technology is just one of the new standards. One of them will win. The early adopters who buy the wrong machine will be screwed.

Not if you are careful in choosing. Years ago many people were buying the Commodore computer. I figured it was foolish and instead, bought the TI 44a. After all, Texas Instrument would be making those computers and supporting them for years to come. Maybe I should upgrade?
On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:42:57 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It was the TI99-4A and I went with it also. Advertised by Bill Cosby. I also bought property advertised by Pat Boone. Sucks to be us.
- Doug

Still got mine in the basement. Along with a bunch of other useless crap. But it served its purpose, I got my first taste of programming on that sucker.
Isn't Boone (or someone similar) now hawking gold (coins?) on the TV? Maybe I should get some of those ....
Regards, JT

Expect machines that are capable of playing both (HD-DVD, Blu-Ray) technologies. They aren't so different from a hardware standpoint.
Mike
There are two groups coming out with blue laser DVD's. Sony and Toshiba. Both will play current DVD's (of which there are two formats DVD+ and DVD-). The question is whether they will play each other's formats.. that is undecided. To reiterate.. they WILL be backward compatible.

...for a while...
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:21:12 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

that's pretty impressive... what is most impressive to me is that they could have sent you a special deal at maybe 50% off as a "thank you" for being a customer, and you would probably think it was nice of them..
Good to see some companies still look for and appreciate repeat business and will spend the time & money needed to get it..