Lee Valley causes me only shame

Page 2 of 2

glue
Are you saying this from actually seeing one in person? The "view" image looks pretty convincing for a threaded insert, not a lipped one.
wrote in message

I'm saying this based on what I saw AND on what I read below the pictures...allow me to copy directly from the page...
"Developed to hold 1/4", 8mm, or 1/2" round shank bits, these are the same brass cup inserts we use in our showrooms for bit display. They mount in a 5/8" diameter hole, and have grooved shanks to provide a good mechanical glue lock if permanent installation is desired. The center bore measures just over 5/8" deep."
Seems pretty clear to me that they are not intended to be threaded in.
Mike
On Feb 14, 11:00 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All the router bits I've ever bought (Jesada, CMT, Sears, Menards, Payless, etc.) always came in a wooden box, with plastic inserts for the shanks, or in plastic cases. I just leave the bits in the case or box it came with. No rust on the shanks, no banging the edges together. Keep them all in the same drawer so I know where they are at. Haven't seen the need yet to make an official display case for them. Never even thought about the shanks rusting. I've had quite a few drill bits stored in the metal case they came in, or in wood holes. Seems to me a metal drill bit case in a metal tool chest would be a moisture magnet. My drill bits have not rusted in many years stored this way. But Lee Valley should invent brass drill bit holders too.

Good suggestion, I've kinda been worried about my drill bits too. A brass holder for each and every one would be just the ticket to ease my shame factor. I'm also excited about another item I found in the new Lee Valley flier ...... a long handled spider catcher! www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&pV114&cat=2,51555 Up to now I've been using my old block of wood router bit holder (sans brass bit inserts) to smash spiders around the shop. For just $19.95 I can treat them with kindness and provide them a plastic spider buddy. It can't get any sweeter.
On 15 Feb 2007 07:17:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it really catches and releases them without harming them I might get one. I see one or two of these guys
I hate to smash them both because they're harmless and because they make a big mess (they're huge, one of the largest North American spiders), but having them running around the shop gives me the willies. Be nice to be able to take them to the creek out back and let them go where they can catch some minnows without bothering me.
J. Clarke wrote:

Why not just get 'em a can of sardines and train them in how to open it?
Bill
rascal less in the world.

Shh. They might teach the cat.

DAMN! I wouldn't use the catcher on them. They might grab it from your hand and beat you with it!
FoggyTown

Yeah, but just think of how good your router bits will look. After all, everybody knows that we don't buy tools and accessories to do any real woodworking, we only buy stuff so we can brag to our buddies about the great looking shop what we've got. :)
On 14 Feb 2007 09:00:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Snip--
I spent hours on their website and then did a web search looking for some type of cover for these inserts. LV doesn't even offer a brass polishing kit (at additional charge, of course) to go with them. I think I will wait until the polishing and protective cover issue are resolved before sending in my order.

Geez - cut a guy some slack... we got asked for 'em... you vote with dollars, we just put up the slate.
We give router bit holders at N/C with the bits we sell... the glass filled nylon ones. We try not to make judgements on what the market deems as "necessary" - we just offer alternatives, and let each of you determine what has value. Would I buy them - no. Would someone buy them - yes. Are they reasonably priced - yes. It's just a progamming change on a lathe....and we make them for our displays anyway.
Sheesh ...

I see the problem here Robin. You were talking to those eskimo types who frequent your stores in the barren north. They like pretty little thing like this.
But most of us have never entered your stores. We live in other countries. This miscommunication occurred because you have no stores in our country. The solution is obvious.
OPEN SOME STORES SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!
Then we will be able to observe first hand Lee Valley behavior and store practices. Then we will no longer be culturally deprived and make such glaring errors.
Puleeeeeez.....
On Feb 14, 12:00 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If the object of the exercise is to protect the shanks from corrosion the inserts should be made of zinc.
--
FF

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Fred ... the object of the exercise is to appease those who spend all their time in the shop making things FOR the shop. You know, the guys who laser-etch their story sticks and file their shavings by species, size and moisture content. The guys who call Rob to buy a plane and he DELIVERS it, personally.
Frankly, I think they look pretty neat. But I do my woodworking in a basement shop with exposed joists, a cracked floor, not enough light, cinder-block walls and a drippy pipe I keep meaning to get to.
Maybe someday ... maybe someday.
Bill
rascal less in the world.

Glad I'm not the only one. I did finally fix the drippy pipe though. One of them anyway. Wanged a piece of 8/4 maple into it one day and turned it from a "drippy pipe" to a "gusher" and figured that while I was fixing it I may as well do a right job of it.
Still trying to clear enough space to get the jack under the outboard end of the rotted joist though.