Lee Valley causes me only shame

If it really catches and releases them without harming them I might get one. I see one or two of these guys every year and I hate to smash them both because they're harmless and because they make a big mess (they're huge, one of the largest North American spiders), but having them running around the shop gives me the willies. Be nice to be able to take them to the creek out back and let them go where they can catch some minnows without bothering me.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm saying this based on what I saw AND on what I read below the pictures...allow me to copy directly from the page...

"Developed to hold 1/4", 8mm, or 1/2" round shank bits, these are the same brass cup inserts we use in our showrooms for bit display. They mount in a

5/8" diameter hole, and have grooved shanks to provide a good mechanical glue lock if permanent installation is desired. The center bore measures just over 5/8" deep."

Seems pretty clear to me that they are not intended to be threaded in.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Why not just get 'em a can of sardines and train them in how to open it?

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Shh. They might teach the cat.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I spent hours on their website and then did a web search looking for some type of cover for these inserts. LV doesn't even offer a brass polishing kit (at additional charge, of course) to go with them. I think I will wait until the polishing and protective cover issue are resolved before sending in my order.

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Geez - cut a guy some slack... we got asked for 'em... you vote with dollars, we just put up the slate.

We give router bit holders at N/C with the bits we sell... the glass filled nylon ones. We try not to make judgements on what the market deems as "necessary" - we just offer alternatives, and let each of you determine what has value. Would I buy them - no. Would someone buy them - yes. Are they reasonably priced - yes. It's just a progamming change on a lathe....and we make them for our displays anyway.

Sheesh ...

Reply to
Rob Lee

"Rob Lee" wrote

I see the problem here Robin. You were talking to those eskimo types who frequent your stores in the barren north. They like pretty little thing like this.

But most of us have never entered your stores. We live in other countries. This miscommunication occurred because you have no stores in our country. The solution is obvious.

OPEN SOME STORES SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!

Then we will be able to observe first hand Lee Valley behavior and store practices. Then we will no longer be culturally deprived and make such glaring errors.

Puleeeeeez.....

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have these allready. They are actually a very tight fit into a 5/8 hole and take a lot more than thumb pressure to set them in. Fortunately I solved the problem by setting them in as far as they would go with moderate force then inserting a router bit into the holder, then pounding on the bit with a mallet thus driving the holder and the bit all the way in. Very secure now.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

quoted text -

DAMN! I wouldn't use the catcher on them. They might grab it from your hand and beat you with it!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

shanks.www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,46168,50736,56500&p=56500

If the object of the exercise is to protect the shanks from corrosion the inserts should be made of zinc.

Reply to
fredfighter

Ummm ... how do you get the router bit out? Or haven't you gotten to that part yet?

;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Fred ... the object of the exercise is to appease those who spend all their time in the shop making things FOR the shop. You know, the guys who laser-etch their story sticks and file their shavings by species, size and moisture content. The guys who call Rob to buy a plane and he DELIVERS it, personally.

Frankly, I think they look pretty neat. But I do my woodworking in a basement shop with exposed joists, a cracked floor, not enough light, cinder-block walls and a drippy pipe I keep meaning to get to.

Maybe someday ... maybe someday.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Or maybe he shoulda drilled the holes deeper? :^P

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Reply to
FoggyTown

Glad I'm not the only one. I did finally fix the drippy pipe though. One of them anyway. Wanged a piece of 8/4 maple into it one day and turned it from a "drippy pipe" to a "gusher" and figured that while I was fixing it I may as well do a right job of it.

Still trying to clear enough space to get the jack under the outboard end of the rotted joist though.

Reply to
J. Clarke