Lee Valley again...

Page 1 of 2
I posted an OT ping to Rob Lee yesterday asking about "Bag Balm" and why they can't sell it in Alberta.
I received an email reply from Rob today, from an email account that's not his, 'cause he's travelling outside the country.
Customer service, or what?
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Sure it is great customer service, but now that you asked the question and have us all on the edge of our seats, what was the answer?
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Sorry 'bout that... From Rob:
"The Bag Balm has a DIN number - so we need a licence to dispense it in Alberta....it's considered a drug....."
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yeah - if you disolve as little as a gram in a liter of ethanol, then drink the mixture, it can make ya pretty dizzy and crosseyed - eh?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

No wonder those Albetans act so weird. Why can't they smoke up like them British Columbians?
Mike
Dave Balderstone wrote:

You guys up there sure smoke some strange stuff! ;-)
Try and find rolling papers that will hold Bag Balm! Or find a Bag Bong!
And smoked salmon... You know how many ZigZags you have to stick together? And try and keep it lit!
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

I sure could have used some of that bag balm when I had hurt my back and put some Capzacin HP (made from hot peppers) on it. Needless to say, if you ever have to use that stuff, be sure to USE GLOVES and do not scratch tender areas if you don't. Nuff said about that...
I would have rather sat on a fire ant bed instead.... That stuff is really made from sunspots.

Mark Hopkins wrote:

YEEEOWCH! Reminds me of the time I had jock itch. I tried some of that Blue Star ointment, and it cured my jock itch after just one treatment. I decided itching was a lot less irritating than pouring gasoline on my tender bits and lighting them on fire.
I'll bet your hot pepper stuff was even worse. I'll say it again. YEEOWCH!
This stuff comes in regular and High Potency versions. Says on the tube to not expose treated areas to heat or even sunshine. I put some on my back and could feel it heating up days later. It does not wash off either. It you ever wanted to get even with someone, this is the stuff. Made from Hot peppers, its contains only 0.1% capsaicin. Think how bad it would be with 100% of the juice! Like having a nest of angry bees, a rabid wolverine and a sunspot in your drawers at the same time I suppose.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:23:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone
depths:

She told me that it stung too much. She's sensitive.

Yes, true CS.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:23:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

So, what is the reason? Could we make a pile smuggling it into Alberta?
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
brought forth from the murky depths:

I can see the headlines (do you have newspapers?) now:
BAG BALM BOOTLEGGER BUSTED BRINGING BOOTY INTO 'BERTA
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

The other day I got a letter from Lee Valley. Inside was a cheque for $12, with a note saying that an item I bought six weeks ago has been reduced in price and they're refunding me the difference. It's not a lot of money, but it shows a degree of integrity and business ethics that is sadly lacking in most other businesses. I'll be a loyal customer of LV for life.

but
in
Ditto that. I graciously received a set of the Hirsch Firmer chisels from LV as a Christmas present. One of them came with a cracked handle and a signifcant chip in the metal. Not only did Lee Valley send a perfect replacement, but they sent a check for the return shipping to boot! Resellers I use for my tech job will not even pay for return shipping on defective equipment anymore. Keep up the good work LV!
-- Cheers! Duke

but
in
Hey Rob!
Whadd'a you guys know about IT??? Any chance of sending you some projects???
This is the ONLY company giving money BACK to their customers. Guess it refutes the laws of economics but I predict they will prosper even more!!!
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:23:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Well I for one am an example of exactly that. I hadn't heard of Lee Valley until I started reading the wreck. After hearing all the great examples of customer service, not to mention the incredible quality of their products I ordered a catalog and have placed 4 BIG orders so far :) (On a side note, yeah, their low angle block plane is SWEET!!)
Ok, back on track here. So I had the pleasure of talking with their customer service last Christmas when I ordered their brick clip thingees. I had gotten the wrong ones and they sent out the other size right away. Wow! So, yeah, these days good customer service is sure addictive, you don't get it very often and when you do you want to hold onto it and not let it go.
Oh, and I've introduced Lee Valley to my coworkers who make sawdust/shavings as well -- excellent advertising machine, huh.
Glad to hear you had such a great experience with them, and hopefully they'll always be a private company so they'll stay focused on customers rather than stock prices :)
Mike

Mike in Idaho wrote:

I'll drink to that!
I had the expensive pleasure of working at 1010 Morrison Drive in Ottawa for 2 years -- literally next door to the Lee Valley store and warehouse -- and the store is just the same as online/catalog. Walk in with anything wrong, and it is fixed INSTANTLY. They have a "scratch and dent / as-is" area where they sell of things, and I've talked to sales folks there for quite a while about the products, and they aren't even making very much on it, if anything!
Yeah, LV is the king. They have 3 warehouses here and must have 100 18wheelers every single day at their doors. Customer service costs them nothing, but the dividends are for everyone to enjoy.