Learning Something New Every Time

I like to think that I learn something new every time I spend a few hours in the shop.
For example, many years ago I learned that it's not a good idea to fine tune a close fitting joint by hitting it with a hammer. It can very easily mess things up by scaring the wood being hit. Ever since then I have used either a deadblow hammer or big orange rubber mallet.
Yesterday's learning experience taught me that hitting your fingernail with a big orange mallet hurts just a much as hitting it with a hammer.
Joe aka 10x

But does it scar as much?

I think 10x meant scared, right? (Smiley-face) You could try a double- blind test by having someone whack your fingernail while you were blindfolded, using either the hammer or mallet. I recently learned that the torture technique of having a sliver of plywood jammed up under your fingernail doesn't hurt nearly as much as I'd been led to believe. Good news! Tom

How does scared wood react? It usually doesn't cooperate when I try scaring it with a hammer, unlike my computer.
:-) <---- Just in case
Luigi

How does scared wood react? It usually doesn't cooperate when I try scaring it with a hammer, unlike my computer.
:-) <---- Just in case
Sapient pearwood is the worst, there are two ways to work with it convince it that it wants to be made into something(best way) or freeze it with liquid nitrogen while it is dozing, this is dangerous, it might turn on you when it thaws.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:

Geez, sapient pearwood? I'd rather try to walk tom's rattlesnake on a leash.
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:37:31 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"

Pinnochio (re)incarnate?

Sounds like a slow and leisurely walk to me.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
scrawled the following:

I tried that ploy on September 5th with a 2' diameter flagstone. It fractured the distal phalanx on my right finger. (broken fingertip) Then the day after I took the splint off, I slipped on a mossy slope while raking and sprained my left wrist. It has b een a hell of a transition from Summer to Fall this year, lemme tell ya...
Condolences on your owie.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight