Leaning furniture??

>>> And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"?? >>

Velcro

Reply to
willshak

I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective for that purpose.

I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture in years, subject to even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly where there are, or will be, young children in the household) that is not anchored to a wall in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping mechanism, generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. That goes for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, and chests of drawers.

And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a custom set of bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that he had done the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom cabinet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account in everything he does.

AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young, pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall.

Reply to
Swingman

I was thinking "top shelf", too, but with lag-end rods which fit into the box beam shelf, spaced at 16" OC for the studs. BR230 - Shelf Support at

not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was more concerned with the mark/screw/hole left there if that piece of furniture had to be moved somewhere else. Certainly not an irreparable thing to fix, but a pain anyway. Even the slightest move would negate the existing form of attachment.

Many/most pieces of furniture or shelving in my place is moved a little bit on occasion. Fastening one of these pieces of furniture being discussed is almost tantamount to a built in wall unit ~ it has to stay exactly where it is, at least in my opinion.

They're designed to look like a free floating piece of furniture, but they're exactly the opposite.

Reply to
Dave

Safety ALWAYS has consequences/inconveniences ... it's life. Those who refuse to acknowledge that fact are fools who do not deserve my participation in their folly.

Reply to
Swingman

You bet. I picked up a freebie tall bookshelf unit a couple years ago and the first thing I did was put an L bracket into it and the wall at the back of the top shelf. It won't be falling on me or anyone else. I've also noticed loose shelves at client homes and talked them into letting me secure the units to the wall for them.

One Atta Boy comin' your way, Swingy. Let someone else's insurance company take the fall for people's stupidity.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was looking through some of my Shaker furniture books a few days ago and there is an example hanging shelves arranged on about the same angle as your example.

Although the Shaker shelves aren't a piece of leaning furniture, the appearance is much the same.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I was thinking of the hidden ones where the magnet it just to run the screws in or out.

Reply to
Mike M

Bingo ...

Reply to
Swingman

Which book is that?

Reply to
Swingman

Making Authentic Shaker Furniture

Subtitle: With measured drawings of museum classics. Author John G. Shea published originally in 1971, while there were still a few shakers living.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Reply to
Swingman

Maybe simpler, a screw behind the drawers. Access by removing the drawer. A little less touchy in placement to hit at least one stud.

Reply to
Leon

e > > Subtitle: With measured drawings of museum classics. > Author John G.= Shea > published originally in 1971, while there were still a few shakers =

@ (the obvious)

book Bill mentioned, and I ordered, "Furniture Treasures", and the othe= r book I had mentioned, "The Early Furniture of French Canada", came in tod= ay. I glanced through them and the "French" book has a few pics of console= s, which appear to be leaning furniture, circa late 18th c. and early 19th = c. It states they were common in churches, on one or each side of the alta= r. Also, they were in high end homes, of the times. The pics and discussi= on is in the section with trestle tables. There is similar discussion, re= garding trestles tables only, in the Furniture Treasury book. The French b= ook comments about modifications of the trestle table.

The Furniture Treasures book (Volume 3, pg 123) comments on trestle tables,= in that, ...referring to plates (pics) 800- 802, "There is known to the au= thor only one other long Pilgrim period trestle, that being in the Bolles C= ollection, Metropolitan Museum. One or two short examples, like 805, have = recently been found. The collector should be very careful not to confuse t= he Shaker type of the early 19th century with a true Middle Age trestle and= board table." *A board table MAY be a sideboard, as there is discussion o= f sideboards in the previous section. I highly suspect sideboards (or boar= d tables), mentioned as being here in the sates, may be the same as the con= soles, mentioned in the French Canada book. The discussions are very simil= ar.

The writer says this board table was common in England and some samples wer= e found in North Carolina. The writer has not come upon an American exampl= e, but such probably exist, or did. *Again, I've been just scanning and re= ading some parts.

Apparently, leaning tables, or shelf type furniture, have been around, in s= ome form, for a long time, and even the Shakers may have had some sort of l= eaning shelf or table, as Basilisk mentions. A further (French) name, note= d in the French book, for the console table is credences. Other examples o= f variations of the console table is demi-lune tables (old samples in the b= ooks, modern samples in the link ~~~>)

.

Some of these old tables look neat. Lots of good pics in each of these boo= ks. Pics are of furniture dating back to the 1600s. Shows, pretty well, = the progression of design(s) over time.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

when you get the book the shelves I was pointing out are on page

121, they aren't leaning but hanging. They have graduated shelf widths from top to bottom. The style to me was strikingly similar, with the added bonus of not being unstable. (when anchored leaning is fine)

I like several of the pieces in this book, in particular, the bench on 124 and the pedestal table on 183.

When I get the time, I may replace all the end tables in the LR with these. I'll need 4 and they will go quickly making several at the time.

Reply to
basilisk

I misread what you wrote Sonny, I thought you had ordered the book I mentioned, my name is Bill also, got ahead of myself posting.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I have the PDF version of the "treasure" book and can't find anything leaning in the trestle table section? I'm going to try and find a copy of the French book, sounds interesting. A "console" table to me has always been a narrow table, not unlike the "sofa" table I just built. :)

Reply to
Swingman

ing in the trestle table section? I'm going to try and find a copy of the F= rench book, sounds interesting. A "console" table to me has always been a n= arrow table, not unlike the "sofa" table I just built. :) -- www.ewoodshop.= com

The trestle table, itself, is not leaning. The progression of design seems= to have led to or from the leaning aspect. In the progression of design, = seems a basic trestle table (typical commoner's dining furniture) was short= ened, then had a folding side (placed against the wall) and became, what w= e know today as, a demilune. Modifications, along this path, resulted in s= ome examples looking like leaning furniture.

Also, seems the different terms, used back then, are not the same as today,= like "consoles".

Here are some pics from the French book of "consoles", which appear to be a= type of leaning furniture - a half table, with 2 legs, leaning against the= wall. I would suspect the table is attached to the wall.

paid $12.99 for Furniture Treasury Volume 3 and $16.04 for Volumes 1&2 (o= ne book)... *this included shipping. The inside dust jacket of Vol 3 has a= price tag of $24.95. The pages are rough paper, kind of reminds me of old= writing tablet paper in grade school. =20

Furniture Treasury Vol 1&2 (one book) has very nice smooth quality paper, a= ppropriate for color plates, pictures and such. This book looks new, thoug= h it was advertised as used. The inside dust cover has a price tag of $100/= $140 Canadian. Both Furniture Treasury books measure 8" X 11". Both of th= ese books were labeled, on Amazon, as "used, very good condition" and they = are in great condition.

I paid $38.99, including shipping, for The Early Furniture of French Canada= . High quality paper, appropriate for the color plates and other excellen= t pictures. It was advertised on Amazon as "used, very good condition". = It is used in good condition and has some slight yellowing around the edges= of the pages. No pages torn. The dust cover has slight wear. The book m= easures 10" X12-1/2" and is hefty as the others. I think this book stopped= being published in 1963, so it has some age to it, but still in great shap= e. No price tag on it, but there is $54 hand written on the inside cover.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks for going to all that trouble, Sonny ... Very nice of you and it definitely expands the horizon for what I'm seeking.

Reply to
Swingman

On Friday, October 19, 2012 8:20:57 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

opper >> With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to = anchor >> these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored. =

nchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward > looking on= the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would > be to attach= something else in their place. I'm not sure what the fixation with this is= sue is ... attaching these things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an = issue and, with the proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum= , a couple of spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a ba= ck lip in a shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and ef= fective for that purpose. I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture= in years, subject to even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly = where there are, or will be, young children in the household) that is not a= nchored to a wall in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping= mechanism, generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. = That goes for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, = and chests of drawers. And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a= custom set of bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that = he had done the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom cab= inet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account in ever= ything he does. AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the= young, pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would = not agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall. -- www.eWoodShop= .com Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

to come across this -
- which is very similar to your in= itial SketchUp. Described as a display shelf. I suppose it can't be top = loaded with heavy items, but it looks nice for a home setting. Possibly wh= at your customer had in mind?

Or have you finished with that project? I'd be interested in seeing what y= ou ended up making.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny