Leaning furniture??

Page 1 of 3
<and I used the term "furniture" loosely.>
Sometimes you wonder whether the world is leaving you behind.
Suddenly find myself designing one of these for a client based on their verbal description (a first blush effort, with no further client input other that it is basically "exactly what they want"):
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5800748174119096498
And today met two other ladies talking about "leaning furniture"??
Based on the latter conversation, I ran across this when doing some research for further design ideas:
http://shoeboxdwelling.com/2011/12/29/leaning-furniture /
Hmmmm ... I'm just quirky enough to like ... back to the drawing board and, wondering what else I've been missing, an open to further suggestions on examples.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Interesting, but knowing me with my bad legs I'd have to fasten to the wall so when I bumped into it I wouldn't have to pick it up off the floor. Good use for those magnetic fasteners.
Mike M
On 10/18/2012 4:49 PM, Mike M wrote:

Anything of this sort would obviously be attached to the wall by anyone but a total fool in this litigious society, not to mention that from doing further research, these pieces are _always_ accompanied by the minimum of an anti-tip device.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/18/2012 2:49 PM, Mike M wrote:

I'd worry about stability, especially with a couple of cats in the house. Anchor it to the wall some way and it might prove to be functional to some degree.
Matt (I like modern-looking stuff sometimes, but call me "old-fashioned".)
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:49:52 -0700, Mike M

Even with rare earth magnets, they would they would have to be pretty powerful to stop a piece of furniture from falling.

I was thinking of the hidden ones where the magnet it just to run the screws in or out.
Mike M wrote the following on 10/18/2012 5:49 PM (ET):

Velcro
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 10/18/2012 5:03 PM, Sonny wrote:

The below is what I believe to be the genesis of the idea for these folks talking about the concept, and it makes sense since the Container Store is right up there with Ikea for the younger set:
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId 033230&N=&Ntt=linea
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

They're proud of their stuff.
--
G.W. Ross

My inferiority complexes aren't as

Yes, these are the type attorneys love best of all. They can almost hear the ambulance sirens in the mere picture of it.

I like that first one with the central handrail. Of course, I'd want a fireman's quick elevator pole for the down trip, y'know.

may lead to other ideas from someone else: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wall+mount+cat+ladder&view tail&id 7150C5ECDEB4935DE696DEC1915E799E279BD1&qpvt=wall+mount+cat+ladder
Hah! I like the red one.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 20:03:19 -0700, Larry Jaques

Yeah. That red one look like a pampered cat ladder and perch. If I had the space available, that is something I would build for my cat.
"Swingman" wrote:

----------------------------------------------- Good thing you are not in earthquake country,
BTW, do they expect a discount since only 2 legs are supplied<G>?
Lew
On 10/18/2012 4:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Each leg removed will be a corresponding increase in design fees. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5800748174119096498
I have seen variations of that sort of thing with some high end "small" office furniture. Often made with metal and glass. Crate and barrel had a selection of desks, etc a few years ago. There is a whole category of high end furniture designed for apartments and condos. I have seen this kind of thing in that market for at least twenty years. I have not seen any lately though. That is either because I don't look at that sort of thing any more or they just stopped making it.
As for the stability thing, the leaning desks I saw had sharp feet and were anchored on the bottom by digging into the carpet. This approach, obviously would not work on a hard surface floor.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:46:48 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I would think it would tend to pull the carpet out of the tackless, too. My vote is for anchoring the thing to the wall.

With all the hardware choices available, it should be possible to anchor these things to the wall without any sign that they're anchored.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 19 Oct 2012 03:45:02 GMT, Puckdropper

But then they would be a pain if you needed to move them. What wall anchors are solid enough and easily detachable, but not awkward looking on the wall if they are visible. Only option in my books would be to attach something else in their place.
On 10/18/2012 11:41 PM, Dave wrote:

I'm not sure what the fixation with this issue is ... attaching these things to a wall, as designed, is simply not an issue and, with the proper design, is simple and effective ... at a minimum, a couple of spax screws, hidden in the drawer/casework back, or into a back lip in a shelf, and into the studs/wall anchors will be invisible and effective for that purpose.
I have not built a piece of tall custom furniture in years, subject to even the remote possibility of tipping (particularly where there are, or will be, young children in the household) that is not anchored to a wall in some fashion, either directly, or with an anti-tipping mechanism, generally custom designed and purposely built into the design. That goes for all free standing bookshelves, china cabinets, desk hutches, and chests of drawers.
And I'm not the only one ... I helped Leon install a custom set of bookcases for one of his client's recently and noticed that he had done the exact same thing ... in this litigious culture a custom cabinet/furniture needs to take every manner of liability into account in everything he does.
AAMOF, turned down a custom tansu job last year because the young, pregnant woman of the house, with one toddler on the ground, would not agree to a design that allowed attachment to the wall.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010