Leaking Air Couplings

Almost all of my air couplings leak lots of air. I bought them from Harbor Freight and Home Depot. Is there any way to tight them, so that sir doesn't leak? If not, can you recommend a brand that fits together properly. This air leakage is driving me crazy.

I tried posting earlier... getting error messages. If this posts twice, or similar post, sorry.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I bought all of mine (about a dozen fittings altogether) at HF and none leak noticably.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

It is cheaper to spend more money on better quality from a god industrial supply house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The teflon tape is not working?

S.

Reply to
samson

There was a time in my career when I designed quick connect couplings.

Based on that experience, will offer the following:

1) Plugs need to be case hardened to minimize scratches.

Case hardening costs money which is easy to skimp on without being easily detected.

2) Very accurate screw machine tolerances are required to maintain the seal between plug and coupling socket.

Sloppy machining works for a little while, sometimes.

You can try replacing the O-Ring in the coupling, it may buy you some time.

Plan "B":

Scrap them out and start over.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"God industrial supply house". Must be Universal couplings.

Reply to
Greg Neill

If you mean leaking quick-disconnect couplings there is a little o-ring in there that is usually the culprit (a dental pick helps when removing and replacing these). Replace it and keep it lubed with something friendly to o-rings and usually the leak goes away.

Reply to
DGDevin

Milton brand brass couplings.

Reply to
Leon

I try to get my parts from a quality source.

You sir, apparently have a source much better than mine.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I USE TEFLON TAPE. Lowes has a heavier (thicker) tape for "Gas Fittings" that may help if the tolerances of your fittings are iffy.

I also put my compressor on a switch leg so that turning off the shop lights turns off the cohmpresor feed as well as the feed to the little power transformers for the battery chargers and such.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Immaculate connection?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Interesting idea..

but the flip side says if your compressor overdraws and the breaker trips.. you'll be in the dark.

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote in news:JvadnaL1k_CfAJ3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@news.ruraltel.net:

I think he'll know right away.