Lazy Susan

My Father is a turner and interested in making Lazy Susan's. However he does not care for the ball bearing noise they tend to make. Is there a way to make one without ball bearings?
Thanks for your help
Stephanie wrote:

He can turn matching plates and turn a race into each - gotta be exact here - and use marbles, but it's a REAL PITA. DAMHIKT Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

You could use a router with a pin centering circle jig. Then they would be perfectly aligned.

You can get buy lazy susan hardware that does not use ball bearings. I am not sure of where I purchased mine but it was probably one of the standard internet sites like; Rockler, Woodcraft Supply, or Woodworkers Supply.
Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point, WA

Rockler has a heavy duty type lazy susan hardware that is much quieter than the standard cheaper ones going around. http://tinyurl.com/2w3kf
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig - Ryobi Reciprocating Saw - Infinity Router Bits ------------------------------------------------------------
On 10 Jan 2004 11:26:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Stephanie) wrote:

They only make that noise because they're made from cheap pressed steel. If you make the races from something less "tinny", the noise goes away. Six or eight strips of HDPE, then turned with a groove will do it.
BTW - A vee groove is best. Better a vee that's too narrow than a shallow groove that's too broad and flat. -- Smert' spamionam
On 10 Jan 2004 11:26:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Stephanie) brought forth from the murky depths:

If you have the clearance underneath, have him use 4 wheels (with little rubber tires) on greased wooden shafts. They're very quiet.
- They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services
Why not use some UHMW material? It comes in 1/8" thick 4" wide (or maybe even wider) up to 4' long and even comes adhesive backed. I used it in my bench rather than drawer slides. The stuff never wears out! Lee Valley, Woodcraft etc. Windy Wood