Laurel? (Myrtle?)

The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about $4/bf. It is pretty wood that looks kinda like butternut, but heavier and harder. I can't find much on it, but maybe it is myrtle; does that sound right?
One website says myrtle is $3/bf, but isn't dated. I can't find it anyplace else.
So, is laurel a good wood to work with, and is the price reasonable?
Toller wrote:

In California it's called "Laurel" or "Bay Laurel." Bay leaves come from these trees. In Oregon it's called "Oregon Myrtle." For two years my family lived in Mill Valley CA, which is in Marin County, on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Bay trees everywhere! My mother never had to buy bay leaves at the grocery store the whole 2 years we lived there.
--Steve
Toller wrote: > The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about > $4/bf.
Can't comment on the wood, but the leaves of the laurel tree (AKA: Bay Leaves) are a seasoning must for a lot of dishes.
Just remember, they are inedible.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Right. You put the leaves in while cooking (usually just one or two), then fish 'em out before serving.
The wood can have quite interesting color and figure. I have a billet that will make a bookmatched top for a solid-body guitar one of these days. Here's a picture:
http://www.cyrguitars.com/FiguredMyrtleBillet01.jpg
--Steve