Lathes

Does anyone have any lathe recommendations...Thinking about Delta's 14" Cast Iron...46-715 Anyone have any horror stories to tell about this model or how is it working for you. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

Check out the Grizzly G5979 -- good price too.

Reply to
Ace

I have owned a Jet 1442 for about a year. Nice machine and massive, especially if you buy the cast iron legs. Quiet, low vibration and has received good reviews is several of the WW magazines since introduction a couple of years ago. I am an old woodworker but new to turning and I have found it to be a good teacher.

I did have a problem with the speed control sticking from time to time. Seems to have gone away and Jet has supposedly corrected the problem. No other problems. I did notice it has gone up in price locally - about $100. Supposedly the increased price of iron. Still a good machine for under $1000.

Reply to
RonB

I still use my ancient ShopSmith when I need some turned stuff. One heck of a lathe, variable speed, turn the headstock around for big things, etc. If you find a bargain SS on sale it is more than adequate for a starter tool. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Pass on Reeves drives. More trouble than they're worth. Either go with an electrically variable or a straight pulley system like the old days.

Reply to
George

You might want to post this on "rec.crafts.woodturning" as well.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I bought this lathe about a year ago. I am still happy with it with a few caveats.

Good:

- Good heavy lathe for the price.

- Great capacity between centers and over the bed.

- The outboard tool rest arm is useful in various inboard oeprations when the toolrest will not fit under the work.

- Ability to slide the headstock to any position on the bed.

- Great motor. Very smooth. Loads of power.

- I love the variable speed control. Very smooth shifting. Very useful to be able to adjust speed on the fly.

- Included 6" faceplate is pretty good and true.

- Ability to outboard turning of larger items.

- Headstock locks at 45 degrees outboard for a comfortable position of hollowing smaller bowls.

Bad:

- Tailstock does not clamp very solidly. Sometimes I have to clamp something behind it to keep it from sliding.

- Tailstock is about 1/32" lower than headstock. I have to shim it when turning something very short between centers, although this is rarely a problem.

- The switch burned out a few weeks ago. It is a large switch housing with a tiny little cheap plastic switch that does the switching inside.

- Bed thickness varies over its length, meaning the headstock lock tension has to be adjusted depending on where you position it.

- Wish it had a spindle lock.

- Included centers are junk. Easily replaced.

- Stand loses all rigidity when outboard turning.

Cheers,

Mike

Reply to
Michael Bowler