Lathe work

What is a good lathe for a beginner to start woodworking with?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
ken

"ken" wrote

Jet mini, and since Jet came out with the variable speed mini, their prices have really come down. For many and thorough discussions on this, DAGS in rec.crafts.woodturning.

'Luck.

Reply to
M Wingett

Depends on what you think you will do with it in the future. If you believe you are committed to having a lathe in you shop from now on, you might skip the entry level machines and go for a decent mid-sized lathe. The mid sized Jet 1442 is a fine machine (about $800 - cheaper with a good sale) and doesn't cost as much as the larger Jets, Powermatics, etc. If you don't think you need that much machine, look at the 12" or smaller. In our area, lathes are pretty common in the classified ads and you might pick up a good deal, with tools and accessories, at a fraction the cost of a new one.

Reply to
RonB

What do you want to turn?

For small bowls, ornaments and spindles I'm happy with my Delta MIDI ($300 CDN, $250 for a good chuck and about $500 on turning tools so far) but it's limited to about 9" diameter bowls.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone