Lathe tool steel

I am about to buy a new set of lathe tools, and was wanting to know if the

2060 grade steel is really worth the extra money. I read claims of greatly increasing the time between sharpening. Does the steel have any advantages beyond just holding an edge longer?

I have been looking at the Packard tools from Packard Woodworks. This looks like a private labeled brand. I have also looked at Hamlet Tools from Craft Supplies USA.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Dennis

Reply to
DWalker

Phisherman

"DWalker" wrote in news:d0ut33$s9c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.chatlink.com:

You may get a different, more focused audience at rec.crafts.woodturning.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I have a couple of the 2030 powdered metal types - Packard is Hamlet, BTW - and they seem to be good, useful tools. Don't cut as cleanly as carbon steel even when fresh, but they do hold what passes with them for an edge pretty well. Seems to resist heating when hogging on hard maple as well as HSS.

First tools? Get your finishing gouges in PM, then roughing, skew, parting and scrapers in HSS alloys. Most versatility.

I have a 1" bowl gouge of A2, and he's as good as they come for slow speed and rough work, so I don't believe in hard and fast "rules" for alloys.

Reply to
George