Lathe search

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:16:43 -0600, Leon

I'm guessing it would be fine for getting that great edge on knives or similar tools. That's one area I like my cutting tool to be razor sharp, especially so when I'm entertaining. It's then that I like the knife to be so sharp you only need to wave it at your prime rib and the entire roast falls over perfectly sliced.

Seeing Robert's comments on not needing a specifically shaped edge for turning tools, it looks like all you need is most any sharp edge as long as you hold it at the correct angle.

Reply to
Dave

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Of course the good tools work better -- but he shouldn't spend a fortune on the first lathe or the first set of tools, when he doesn't even know yet if he's going to enjoy it. I think his best bet is to look for a decent used machine on Craigslist. If he doesn't like turning, he can re-sell it on CL and get most, if not all, of his money back.

Reply to
Doug Miller

the first lathe or the first

his best bet is to look for a

it on CL and get most, if

Correct and I did say to buy an inexpensive one in an earlier post to determine if he is going to pursue this further. But if he gets into this $300 is not going to look like a fortune in tools. Not saying that $50 would not get him going on a set with several tools. But an adjustable chuck is a nice thing to have and is going to put a sizable dent in $300 quickly and sharpening is going to figure in there somewhere.

I am more warning about the slippery slope.

Reply to
Leon

The Tormek does do a good job on knives and scissors and rather quickly but then The WorkSharp systems do too and much less expensively.

The trouble with those items is that they do not dull as quickly or often as the tools I use in the shop. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

OK, gotcha. I think we've just been talking past each other. It sounded to me like you were saying he'd need to spend $300 on lathe tools *to start with*.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ha! Ha! Ha! The slippery slope?? That's a good one!!! Who ever heard of such a thing? : )

Reply to
Bill

Correct and I did say to buy an inexpensive one in an earlier post to determine if he is going to pursue this further. But if he gets into this $300 is not going to look like a fortune in tools. Not saying that $50 would not get him going on a set with several tools. But an adjustable chuck is a nice thing to have and is going to put a sizable dent in $300 quickly and sharpening is going to figure in there somewhere.

I am more warning about the slippery slope. ================================================================== Yes, lathes are very expensive. The machine is the cheap part. At least it's incremental rather than all at once.

Reply to
CW

like you were saying

Nope. Just a warning of things to come after bitten. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Any major name suppliers come to mind? ================================================================== Kenametal, Hitachi, Iscar, Mitsubishi. There are many more but those come to mind. Tell the guy behind the counter what you are going to do with it and he should be able to set you up with a quality import that will work great for wood and will likely cost no more than $2.00 per insert. They are usually sold in boxes of ten. For 20 to 30 bucks you will be set for years. Finding a supplier should not be hard. Lots of things made in Texas.

Reply to
CW

Thanks I remember that... Now all I need to do if find a handle supplier. :~)

Reply to
Leon

There's several turners in the local AAW-associated group that swear they've never bought a blank - they all have chainsaws in the trunk at all times :-). Not sure what they do about exotic stuff, do without or trade for it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I agree. We have one of the most talented carvers I have ever met or see right here in San Antonio. Sadly, he is an eccetric (how's that ofr PC?), and prefers to work only when he needs money.

The other time he works is to support his native Indian causes. He doesn't make garden gnomes, Santas, or elves. He carves things like real-size buffalo head nickels with all detailing except text. He carves cameos from exotic woods, and carves holy figurines for churches.

And he sleeps a lot in his shop while dreaming of projects.

Great guy. Tried to do a small project with him and we got stuck on something called a "schedule". It was a new word for him, and we should have defined it up front. We are better off friends.

BTW, he never sharpens his tools. He reprofiles to the shape he wants, then uses a strop and green diamond compound to re-hone the edges.

Oddly... he can't sharpen a pocket knife...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

the first lathe or the first

think his best bet is to look for a

it on CL and get most, if

I have been doing lathe work for about a year. My total expense has been:

HF 12" Lathe 160 HF beefier HSS tool set 50 HF slow speed wet grinder 50 PSI chuck with jumbo jaws less than 100

I have done some spindle turning but mostly segmented bowls. I am running out of space to put them and people to give them to. I think I do OK work with minimal expense. When I show a bowl no one admires the tools I made it with. I am satisfied with my tools. I am a sawdust maker rather than a tool collector and don't feel like I am sliding down the slippery slope. I won the bowl contest at the local Woodcraft store. You can buy the HF set for much less than a few tools others recommend.

Some of my work is at

Ray

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:b54eb95f- snipped-for-privacy@g27g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

That seems to work rather well. I've got the leather wheel and green compound for the Work Sharp, and after using a chisel give it a touch on the wheel before putting it away.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Count me impressed! Nice work!

Ray wrote:

the first lathe or the first

think his best bet is to look for a

re-sell it on CL and get most, if

Reply to
Bill

Impressed is an understatement. I'm in Awe. Great work.

Reply to
Justin Time

Saw a guy in Hot Springs, AR a couple of years ago who was selling, and getting buyers, with much less spectacular turnings than yours, and for a nice price ... some in the hundreds.

That's some gorgeous work!

Reply to
Swingman

Who's to say that he could keep up his artistic talent and expert workmanship for 40 hours a week, every drudging week?

Thank Tankashila for that.

Um, oh.

See? I toldja so.

It's good that your friendship got through it intact.

Yeah, there's a heck of a lot of honing between sharpenings with a gouge.

Hah!

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the first lathe or the first