Lathe search

Page 2 of 4
Count me impressed! Nice work!
Ray wrote:

Impressed is an understatement. I'm in Awe. Great work.
On 2/8/2012 1:36 PM, Ray wrote:

Saw a guy in Hot Springs, AR a couple of years ago who was selling, and getting buyers, with much less spectacular turnings than yours, and for a nice price ... some in the hundreds.
That's some gorgeous work!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I love the bowl lamps, Ray. Booful!
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

WOW! That's some amazing work, Ray. Thanks for the link. I especially appreciate seeing your detailed step-by-step photos of the process. Very nice.
On 2/8/2012 1:36 PM, Ray wrote:

Very nice Ray. DAMN nice actually!

Nice work Ray. Question, have you noted any glue failures in those forms where you are gluing side grain to end grain? If not, what glue are you using.
Personally I have found I need to avoid that type of joint
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Thanks for the compliments. I have been doing turning for about a year so it may be too early to know about glue failures. I have been doing woodworking for 65 years. In general I try to avoid cross grain joints. Since most of the designs are cut rings on a scroll saw the cross sections are thin. Most of the bowls end up 1/4" thick so there is some give. I use yellow titebond II. I have felt some of the older joints and can't feel any creep for the year old bowls. I have experienced joint creep on other types of projects so I know what to look for.
Ray
On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:11:45 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg

Going for the variable speed model? Should be -well- worth the extra $30. http://tinyurl.com/6thm8bf

What turning tools do you have now? It appears that none comes with the lathe. HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now. $30 in the Amazone: http://tinyurl.com/6vel9ed Start with those, figure out which you want/need to spend some real money on, and upgrade only those gouges.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Yes, I did neglect the turning tools cost, but upon the advice given, I'll start with the HF tools or the Amazon as you listed.
Thank you
On 2/5/12 4:45 PM, Justin Time wrote:

Any HSS tools will work great until you start to notice the difference in better steel. But, you may want to go ahead and spend the rest of the $300 Leon suggested on sharpening tools. Sharpening tools are multi-taskers so you will use them on more than just turning tools, even if you decide you don't like turning. And if you end up loving turning and upgrade to higher quality turning tools, you'll already have the sharpening tools.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/5/2012 4:54 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic styles.
http://www.easywoodtools.com /
On 2/5/12 7:25 PM, Leon wrote:

That is VERY intriguing as I also hate sharpening.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0600, Leon wrote:

Here's another source - somewhat lower prices:
http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm

On 2/5/2012 9:17 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks to be 1/2.
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:17:16 -0600, Leon wrote:

I bought the rougher (unhandled) a couple of years ago along with extra tips. I've been happy with it. The guy who makes them (IIRC, he's a retired machinist) says he's sold them all over the world. If you have any questions give him a call - he's a friendly cuss.
I like the looks of his new combo tool - I may have to save up for it.

On 2/6/2012 11:31 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

So Larry how long comparatively do the carbide tips last would you say?
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:34:43 -0600, Leon wrote:

I'm probably not the person to ask. I was only turning about 4-8 hours a week and then I got sidetracked into building a dulcimer. I haven't turned anything but a handle for a veneer hammer in months.
But based on my limited experience, I'd say about 8 hours of actual use per side, or 32 for an entire tip. Of course that depends a lot on the wood. I was turning mostly domestic hardwoods - something like jatoba or lignum vitae would be a lot harder on tip life.
(interesting - the Pan spell checker flagged jatoba but not lignum vitae)
I've heard comments that you can't sharpen the tips. I see no reason why use of a diamond hone wouldn't extend tip life. When I run out of sharp tips I plan on trying it. If I was smart, I'd touch up the tip after each use the way I do with router bits, but I never seem to think of it at the time.

On 2/6/2012 8:40 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I rarely turn and and in my hey day a few years ago it was mostly pens. I turn if a project requires it but seldom for the sake of turning because of the trouble of sharpening. That could change. ;~)

I have to wonder how often you would resharpen a standard tool with 32 hours of turning, or 8 for that matter.

Concerning the sharpening of the tips issue, it is probably an associated reference to sharpening the typical carbide saw blade. Carbide would be much harder to reshape compared to the typical turning tool. I certainly would try the diamond hone.

Their replacement carbide tips certainly are a lot less expensive, looks to be 1/2. ==============================================================Take an insert and go down to an industrial supply that serves machines shops. Have them match it up. Much cheaper.