Lathe questions

Anyone have any experience with this Rikon lathe:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe-Model-70100.aspx
Or this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIKON-70-050VS-12in-X-16in-Variable-Speed-Mini-Lathe-/300651812570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46003e96da#ht_701wt_1192
I'm interested in trying my hand at turning ... but don't want to invest a whole lot. A recent thread suggested an HF look-alike as a low-cost option, but based on a recent experience with a belt/disc sander, I don't want to go that route.
TIA
Larry
On 2/19/2012 12:26 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005508/16400/RIKON-Mini-Lathe-Model-70100.aspx
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIKON-70-050VS-12in-X-16in-Variable-Speed-Mini-Lathe-/300651812570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46003e96da#ht_701wt_1192
I cannot speak for that brand and type of lathe, However, the absolute cheapest way to try out turning, is with a Hobby Lathe from Grizzly, Model H2669 for only $49 plus a few tools. It is not much, being that it uses a drill motor for the driving end. But I can tell you that I used one for quite some time, and did much turning on model train and cars parts. Finally upgraded to a larger wood lathe. But for a really inexpensive start you cannot go lower price, unless you can find a bargain used one.
Larry - a couple of the guys in my old turning club bought those lathes. For utility value, there were really happy. The ways were ground flat, the tailstock held in place very well, and they were able to spin up some large pieces of wood with no problems.
Plenty of power, and just big enough to make some nice size projects.
The only downside that was reported back was (at that time... a couple of years ago) as with all Rikon tools, the fit and finish can be really inconsistent. If I were going to get one, I would probably put my money down at the local Woodcraft and ask them to unbox it for me for my personal inspection.
That way you could see for yourself what level of F/F you are getting on the exact tool you are buying.
Robert
Thanks, Robert. I ran into the local Woodcraft guy at the Woodworking show yesterday and am going out to the store later this week. This is one purchase I'm going to make locally rather than online.

Never knew Grizzly made such a lathe. Not a bad price for a drill and accessories. What's the largest item you've turned on it?

I have a Jet Midii, love it, but can't carry it anywhere. Just too heavy for me. So, I've been on the lookout for a Jet Pen Lathe... http://www.shapingwood.com/woodworking/10692.html ...Unfortunately, the only ones I can find are already owned and their owners are not interesting in parting with them.
Has anyone used, or know someone who has used, either of these...
Craftsman 3-Speed Mini Lathe (22106)... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922106000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode&-95436357-2
General International Pen Turning Lathe ( General 25-010 M1 )... http://www.kmstools.com/general-general-international-pen-turning-lathe-11286
I've seen the General and it looks solid, but costs more than the Craftsman, which oddly looks exactly the same. Both cost even more than the Jet Pen, which retailed for $119.
I found one mini review on the Grizzly... http://www.penturners.org/forum/f97/general-international-pen-turning-mini-lathe-86479 /
Based on the price of the General, I can't see trading in my Jet Midi for it, or the Craftsman. I suspect unless I can find a used Jet Pen at a yard sale, I'm not going be able to take my show on the road.
`Casper
On 2/20/2012 12:30 PM, Casper wrote:

In answer to your question of what was the largest item that I made with it, (the drill motor lathe) I offer the following links to pictures.
The first was every round part on the train model which is 3 feet long, engine, wheels, etc.. Give time for the pictures to come into focus. http://www.barr-family.com/wood/trains.htm
The next are several models, a John Deer Tractor, every round part. A Bulldozer round parts, and a 1930 Dusenberg auto, all round parts including the wheels. http://www.barr-family.com/wood/models.htm
After those I went to a larger lathe, a Grizzly G0624 10 inch lathe. These only show what can be done with the simplest of tools. I am not saying that it is great work, but when there is limited funds, there is still a way.
"godsword" wrote in message
On 2/20/2012 12:30 PM, Casper wrote:

In answer to your question of what was the largest item that I made with it, (the drill motor lathe) I offer the following links to pictures.
The first was every round part on the train model which is 3 feet long, engine, wheels, etc.. Give time for the pictures to come into focus. http://www.barr-family.com/wood/trains.htm
The next are several models, a John Deer Tractor, every round part. A Bulldozer round parts, and a 1930 Dusenberg auto, all round parts including the wheels. http://www.barr-family.com/wood/models.htm
After those I went to a larger lathe, a Grizzly G0624 10 inch lathe. These only show what can be done with the simplest of tools. I am not saying that it is great work, but when there is limited funds, there is still a way. ================================================================Well, if you won't say it, I will. Great work. Truly, very, very impressive.

Nice work! I especially love the train and the Dusenberg. It's about making the best use of your tools, right? So if you used the drill-lathe on those projects, it certainly worked and was worth it. I have yet to try a project like one of those, but I love classic cars and may just have to try making one.
Basically I'd like to have a small lathe that I can take with me to various places. Lugging around a midi lathe is not practical for me. I plan on taking a closer look at that drill-lathe. Thanks for the info and photos. Keep up the great work. `Casper
On 2/22/2012 10:20 AM, Casper wrote:

Casper, someone mentioned it earlier - a Jet pen lathe would probably fit the bill for you. The problem would be to find one, since they're no longer made. I got mine some years ago (new) on eBay. I use it only for pens, but could do bottle stoppers and small bowls and vases (2-3" diameter max) and similar items. Great lathe; it's really a shame they no longer make it. Took me weeks to win the bidding on one - it was a very popular item.
Matt
Try your local craigs list for one. Once you find what you want then buy an expensive lathe.