Lathe newbie--helpful hints, books, web sites?

SWMBO just got me a Jet mini-lathe for my birthday--I'm primarily doing small stuff, pens and whatnot, right now, so it's the perfect size for me. I started fiddling around with it yesterday, not really knowing what I was doing but making sawdust and having fun just the same. (C:

Like I said, my primary interest right now is in doing pens, but I want to branch out more. Probably won't do bowls for a while...the biggest thing I'd tackle would be a bat, or a table leg, or...oh, I don't know.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom, or any good reference books, or any good web sites, that might help edjukate me? I tried DAGS, but it didn't turn up much useful stuff. I'm looking for general info on using a lathe, but also any specifics on the lathe I got--it's the JWL-1014 Jet (their non-variable speed mini).

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide...

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Try searching these archives:

ask questions on rec.crafts.woodturning. Another source of info in my sig line. You might want to join your local branch, they'll have plenty of people happy to help you out.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Hie thee hence to rec.crafts.woodturning, great bunch of folks there.

My collection of turning links is at

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave (and everyone else who responded)...

Thanks! As someone else suggested, I'll hie myself (whatever "hie" is...) to r.c.w., and see what tidbits they can share with me.

Thanks aga> > Does anyone have any words of wisdom, or any good reference books, or

Reply to
PC Gameplayer