Latest Projects - Mission Lamps and Country Style Clock

Finished my latest projects -- a set of Mission Style Clocks in Cherry and a Country Style Mantle Clock in Red Oak.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/productsbusiness/productsclocksandlamps.html
The clock is similar to a country clock (pg. 88) in "(The Complete Guide to) Making Wooden Clocks" by John Nelson. It has been re-proportioned and changed to a better style of joinery (IMO). (No butt joints nails or screws now -- just a bit of glue and a couple of decorative nails in the back.) Also added a rear door so it has a compartment, and a "secret compartment" under the drawer.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Nice! I like simple straight lines like the Stickley designs. Have you considered simple angular stained glass for the shade?
Robatoy wrote:

For the mission style? Exactly -- the store has someone who does stained glass shades and windows -- but it _really_ drives up the price -- outside the range of their customers... So cloth for now... But I will do another set for myself -- and maybe I will buy the shades.
Hmmm -- I can get angular clock faces -- interesting thought...
When I do the mission style clock maybe an trapezoidal clock face and lightly smoked glass for the "viewport".
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I can't imagine it being too crazy if you were to acquire the ability yourself. Simple does it. 2 - 3 colours. Maybe just one.
Not quite in this form, but in that direction. I think that would blend well with mission stuff. http://www.taliesinbookstore.com:80/store/product.asp?sku=S2306CW
For down-the-road....
On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:06:55 -0400, WillR

From Gustav Stickley's 1910 catalogue
#604 tea table     $4.75
#369 Morris recliner chair     $37
#625 electric lamp, fumed oak and copper, with copper fretwork and opal glass shade     $40
#625 lamp, with shade of Japanese wicker     $20
So we see that the electric light fittings are not only _very_ expensive, but also that glasswork has always been an expensive part of the lamp.
I'm not a glassworker, but I do work with one (often on Stickley style work). We have no end of trouble with pricing if there's glass involved - the amount of hand work involved puts the costs up, but trying to find customers who will accept this in th efinal price is quite another matter.