Latest Project Pics

Just uploaded a few pics of my latest project, an entryway bench in walnut & birdseye maple. Bunch of firsts for me, sliding dovetails, veneering, gilding (next step) etc. Hours of fun, couldn't do it without my apprentice though :)
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/index.htm
I quite like all the clean lines on it, but I may roundover the top of it, haven't decided yet...

Very nice looking.
I think I would round over the edges. One night you will stumble into it when the lights are off. I still have a spot on my shin bone from a similar trip.

Looks Great! My only concern is the amount of wood left between the upper corners of those adjacent dovetails. You might consider shifting them slightly off-center towards the outside of the rail so that there is a little more real estate between those corners if you ever do something similar, not too far or you'll weaken the outside edge of the leg. And maybe I'm just being over-cautious. I do have a pronounced tendency to over engineer things. You should see the cradle I built for my first born. It's suspended, and I'm pretty sure that it will hold at least 500 lbs. without shifting or racking and it's big enough that he could have slept in it until age 8. ;) It was one of my first projects and let's just say that I've learned a lot since then. You've got to start somewhere, right? bc

Thanks, you're kinda right about the corners. The inside bit is very weak as I found out when I was dry assembling and cracked one of them. However I don't think it makes any difference structurally as that piece is trapped by two rails(stretchers?) so it has nowhere to go and is solidly glued in place i.e It's weak when one dovetail is in place but fine when both are in place. I was worried about it until I saw other designs that actually had that inside corner floating, with the dovetails themselves overlapping.
Very nice

Thanks Lee :) I think this is the first project where everything has come out how I expected it to which is a nice. Hope the next steps go well too :)

Very Nice! Looks like ya did good!
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

I wouldn't round over the top too much..just my taste. It is your table....and a pretty darn nice piece of work at that. About those dovetails... I think I see what others mean. A bit more space between them would have looked a bit better maybe, perhaps a slightly shorter tail?
r----> who thinks maybe you should round the corners a bit, lest yourprince be hurting himself. He must give you a lot of joy. When Angela was doing work in the ER...she saw a lot of table-corner related cut- up kiddies.

I think I'm going to use a tiny little roundover bit on it, mainly to protect the edges themselves, not the shins :) With regards the dovetails, a smaller tail may have been better but I'm pretty pleased with the way they are now. Something to mull for next time though.
Also I just noticed the stupid gallery thing wasn't working in IE so you can now zoom in a bit more.

VERY impressive.
-jtpr

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.
damian penney wrote:

Looks good in the smaller pix but when I click on them I get a 404 error instead of the expected larger pix.
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

When did you get the 404 error? There was a problem when I first uploaded them (worked in Firefox but not IE) but I thought that was all fixed, and I just checked again in IE6/Firefox and seems to work fine. Odd.
Here are the direct links to the larger images
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1432.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1434.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1438.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1439.jpg
http://www.penney.org/benchgallery/images/IMG_1443.jpg
Damian
damian penney wrote:

work fine. Your work looks really nice. And the table, too. ;-)
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube