Latest project pics

http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/birdseyebox.htm
It's a little box of birdseye maple ... nothing big. I enjoy looking at the projects of others on this newsgroup ... I hope you might enjoy these as well.
Nate Perkins posts:

I like that. Nice proportions, too.
A photo hint that MIGHT help reduce the flash pop: try putting a piece of tissue (Kleenex style) over the flash when you shoot these close ups. It won't eliminate all that glare, but it will reduce some. Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken
On 25 Nov 2004 10:58:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Thanks Charlie!
I've had that problem so often, I try to shoot outdoors whenever possible. Getting built-ins into the driveway or back yard isn't easy! <G>
Barry
Barry responds:

Yeah, and an overcast day outdoors is even better. Keep the pry bar in the picture for built-ins.
Or you might try this: put larger bulbs in your nearby lamps and work to direct the light onto the built-ins. Use a tripod (failing that, take a sack of raw rice on a chair for a support) with the timed shutter release. You can use some foam board behind the lights to help direct the light (space blankets work pretty well, too, as does crumpled and straightened aluminum foil). Remember to set the color balance on your camera if it has a manual setting position.
Take the larger bulbs out of the lights when done! Most household lamps that don't take 3 ways are limited to about 75 watts, so 150 and 200 watt bulbs are not good for permanent set-up.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken
Nate Perkins wrote:

Gorgeous Nate! Did you hand cut those dovetails?

Yep. If I were doing it again I'd have cut the miters a little deeper. If you look closely you can see that the pins aren't quite seated all the way to the scribe in the sockets. Live and learn.
And I'd also follow Charlie's advice about the lighting, and dust the piece a little better before photoing it ;-P
I cannot think of a better application for that piece of wood. Very nice Nate.

(Nate Perkins) wrote:

Nice work.