Latest Project, No finish.

I just finished adding a light bridge to my wife's robotic long arm machine. The bridge is 127" long. Side supports 1/2" Baltic birch, the actual bridge is 3/4" Sandy plywood, and high density ribbon LED lighting with remote control.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/29097941173/in/dateposted-public/
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 1:00:36 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I vote for poke-a-dot paint. Almost makes for a nice window valance, as well!?
Pretty neat!
Sonny
On 9/16/2016 2:32 PM, Sonny wrote:

I'll probably not paint or stain. She may cover with a fabric. We'll see if there is ever any sag, that span is over 10'. But that wide portion in the center should add resistance. The bottom is set in a grove on the front and back sections. And while difficult to see the fronts and backs are actually 4 pieces of plywood. The joints are reinforced with.....Dominos and pocket hole screws.
Thank you.
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 8:08:12 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Who makes those Dominos? ;-)
On 9/16/2016 2:00 PM, Leon wrote:

Nice. But in this case I think you'd have to admit that there's even more impressive work ON the sewing machine than OVER it. :) What's the smartphone for, by the way? I'd be awfully disappointed to find out that the sewing machine was just a giant automated add-on for a quilting app.
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 4:03:35 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see her finished quilt.
*I just realized, this project may be Leon's attempt to make amends with the Mrs. Seems, she doesn't have a new tool cabinet.
Sonny
On 9/16/2016 4:29 PM, Sonny wrote:

Ill see if I can't get a picture of the quilt before she delivers it. she is only doing the quilting of the top, middle, and bottom sections so it will not be complete but you will get a good idea of what it will look like.
;~) Of all the tools and equipment that I own, she has more money invested. This is just one of three sewing machines, although the most expensive.
On 9/16/2016 8:20 PM, Leon wrote:

That puts you in a very good position to buy more tools.
My wife keeps busy with her robotic HandiQuilter Avante, her Bernina 830, a Melco 16 needle industrial embroidery machine, some $$$ software, two sergers and a couple basic Singers (for teaching). More costs for two weeks training in Denver on Melco maintenance/repair. Don't know if she'll recover all her expenses, but it won't be for lack of trying, by a woman who hated any form of sewing until after she retired.
I've gathered more woodworking tools than I really need, but I think her investment is much more than mine. But I think there might be room in the garage for another motorcycle or two...

I wish I could get my wife interested in something like that. She's retired and has time but no real hobby. I'm not, and have almost zero time. I'll probably work at least a couple more years.

Blasphemy!

Just bought my wife new appliances for the kitchen. That was a big chunk of change but she doesn't bitch when I buy tools, though she feigns horror at the price of green ones. ;-)
On 9/16/2016 11:49 PM, krw wrote:

SWMBO rules the kitchen, but she considers any benefit from kitchen improvements to be all mine (that's probably true) so it does not help reduce the appearance of my toy budget.

She enjoys cooking and, in particular, baking. High-end appliances and environment make it more enjoyable, just like green tools.
On 9/16/2016 7:20 PM, Leon wrote:

Yabbut, the light I saw in her eye last week when she gave me a demonstration has gotta be worth double whatever was spend ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 9/17/2016 9:16 AM, Swingman wrote:

;~)
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 5:03:35 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:

That's a pretty big smartphone! Must be really smart. ;-)
On 9/16/2016 4:03 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Thank you
Yes! the quilt is gorgeous. A good freind/customer made the top of the quilt. My wife is doing the mating/quilting with a very intricate design.
Are you talking about the 10" tablet? That is the brains to the robotics. My wife tells the software to map the movement of the machine while she moves the machine to lay out an area for the pattern to be sewn onto. After that she has a x,y coordinate system that shows her where the machine is relative to the quilt. She then imports a pattern for the machine to sew into the area she set. On this particular quilt there are probably 40 unique patterns that the machine will sew, in about 150 different areas.
For the first 10 years that she has owned this particular machine she did all of the mating/quilting of the surfaces by guiding the machine with the front or rear handle bars. About 6 weeks ago she went robotic, very much like a 2D CNC machine, but no saw dust. ;~)