Latest project in a.b.p.w

Hey, all. I recently completed a project I created as a wedding present for friends of mine. It's a framed digital montage of them (I made the frame from walnut), and I've posted a picture in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking if you're interested in checking it out.
If you're curious about creating your own picture frames from scratch, check out the tutorial I created at
http://kombat.org/FrameMaking /
Enjoy,
Kevin.
Hey, I know her! Tom

Hi Kevin,
Your walnut picture frame is really nice. The photo montage is pretty cool too and of interest to me since photography is another hobby of mine.
I went through your frame-making tutorial and noticed that you simply glued the miters with no mechanical fasteners or splines etc. Are you confident that these will hold up over time? It has been my experience that simply gluing end-grain is not enough to hold the miters. Maybe I missed something somewhere in the tutorial tho.
Otherwise, very clear & well explained with nice photos.
Lou
loutent wrote:

Hi, Loutent. When I first started doing frames, I sunk a finishing nail into each corner for extra strength after gluing. After I'd done a few, however, I tried leaving the nails out, and so far, I haven't had any frames come apart on me. I found it difficult to match the putty (to fill the countersunk nail holes) colour to the wood of the frame, so I've been leaving the nails out lately.
Maybe I'll take your advice and go back to putting the nails in. :)
Kevin.
I framed a 3'X4' mirror, HEAVY, with mitered red oak about 3"X3/4" using Titebond glue and it's still hanging on the wall after 10+ years. Happy that it's still there and would NOT do that again. Another one made similarly for our daughter separated at the bottom and was surprised but understand better now why.

Very nice tutorial Kevin. Thanks for sharing it.
Dick