Latest Project

Our kitchen paper towel holder had been with us for years. It was made to fit the length of a roll, but in the last few years roll length was not as exact. From the same package one would be a little short and when you tried to snatch off a towel it would spin off about 7 yards of towels. Another would fit too tight and you would pull off little pieces trying to pull out a towel. So I made my own.
It is made about 3/8 inch longer than the average roll, but the real advantage is the built-in tensioner (made from a piece of metal banding).
The dowel is held in place by a keeper (modified 10d box nail) which slips into a hole in the dowel. The dowel is slid in until the vertical mark on it is even with the holder, then rotated until the horizontal marks coincide and the keeper is put in.
You may notice that the keeper is not horizontal. Actually I drilled a hole with the drill press while the end piece was still rectangular and it pointed toward the center of the dowel. After putting it together and painting it I started to install it in the kitchen and the hole was on the back side! If I had laid it out with my Etch-a-Sketch that may not have happened. So I free-handed another hole in front.
Actually I think this gives the piece authenticity--if it were perfect nobody would believe I really made it.
--
GW Ross

Death to all fanatics!
G. Ross wrote:

--
GW Ross

Death to all fanatics!
On 1/29/2016 8:19 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Cool! The thing on top that looks like a re-purposed hack saw blade, does that keep the roll from unwinding unexpectedly?
I think I will make one of those for toilet paper! I think that would prevent my wife from putting the roll on backwards. ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message

A possible solution to one of those unexplainable things... Don't be surprised though that it might be circumvented by the offender holding up the tensioner rather than their R&Ring the roll. ;~)

LOL, and complaining the whole time while holding the tensioner. Why did you put this thing on here! ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message

Yup... sounds about right! LOL
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

Uh, if you're going to prevent the wife from putting the roll on backwards, do make sure you know why she does it first. I used to put it on backwards because if I put it on frontwards I would often come home to the toilet paper in a pile on the floor with a smug looking cat sleeping on it, having clawed it all off the roll.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:24:43 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Leon wrote:

box. The original holder I made for the shop uses a little heavier strip and works better. Not as stiff as a hacksaw blade.
--
GW Ross

Death to all fanatics!

Harbor Freight sells two-piece magnetic towel holders. Since the ends aren't connected, it'll hold any length towels and keep them "tensioned". I bought several for the garage, basement, and work. The only problem is that they're an ugly orange.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:19:20 -0500

good idea i need to make one or two of these been through a lot of paper towel holders and it is hard to find a good one