Latest project

Page 1 of 2

Pictures of the latest project. It's a curly maple box made for my wife on Mom's Day.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperkins1/Woodworking/projects/mdaybox.htm
I know it's mundane seeing the little project pictures ... but at least it ain't a discussion of religion, politics, or pointy sticks (I never did get the pointy stick thing).
Very nice job Nate!!!! Gene

Really nice work, Nate! SWMBO must be happy.
Ed

Ed wrote:

Thank you for the kind comments, guys.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:36:13 GMT, Nate Perkins

Nice work!

Sure you do. They are jerks who need to get a life. I'd suggest woodworking, or another hobby to relieve the stress, but they don't want to go there. They'll alway be around. Just ignore them; set your browser to list by topic and delete entire topics at one go. It's like sorting junk mail. When it first started people got mad. Now they just accept it, and it takes only a few seconds to sortthrough and throw out the trash. Sure it's irritating a times, but so are little children.
Nice job Nate! I do believe we've witnessed the birth of an heirloom....
Darwin

Nice box, good craftsmanship.
Now your wife will have a place to keep her political buttons or offerings if she decides to join some cultist religion. Do you have a secret compartment to hide a pointy stick?
Did I miss anything? Oh, don't forget to use a conditioner before you stain it.
Very nice work Nate! I personally always enjoy seeing the work of such craftsmanship! Very nice family pics too!
Schroeder

Nate Perkins wrote:

Do you need a plan (free) for a pointy stick?
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

If he doesn't I do. I can't work out how to chuck the aircraft; which way does the grain run?
BTW, lovely piece of work Nate! Leaves me feeling rather more amateurish than I think I am, though.
- Andy
Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Okay, okay. I give. What the heck is the deal with the pointy sticks???

You mean you REALLY don't know?????
I suppose you don't have cat push sticks either..............
hmmmm

Yep, I really don't know. And I've been here (mostly lurking) for a year or two now.
I did get the one about the dead cat push sticks. The pukey duck contest thing seemed odd, but I got that one too. Took me a while to figure out the big deal with jummywood. Caught on to all the Minwax and Polyshades jokes, and the bit about using brads until the glue dries.
Never did figure out the big deal about pointy sticks. It seemed like some people were genuinely using fancy woods to make elaborate pointed sticks. *shrug*
Nate Perkins wrote:

OK. Actually it's developed into a 2 part thingy. Riginally it was because every drop-in would ask for free plans without taking the time to search for them on their own. Showing that they were good enough to ask but to good to look, whereas everybody else was their spear carrier. That developed into a spoof of an in-duh-vidual asking for free plans for pointy sticks. They can be made galootish with drawknives, spokeshaves, and a dumbhead/shavehorse. Or you can force them through a dowel plate. The Normite answer is to use dow makers, or lathes to form your pointy sticks.
The second is in reference to people or weapons being dangerous, and the jawbones of asses/politicians.
The bottom line was that people expect others to do the legwork that they are to good to do for themselves.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Ah, finally, I get it. Thanks, Dave. Some of the references to pointy stick making seemed accurate enough that I thought for some reason people were actually making them. Doh.
<snip>

Aren't we? charlie b seemed pretty serious. I never figured him for a troll.
Patriarch, who really does need to make something to hold up the cucumbers today...

Beautiful work, Nate. Sorry I can't be more upbeat about it but my pointy stick just died. :(
Vic

Sweeeet! I like the continuos grain on the front, even across the drawer. A veneered drawer front isn't cheating, if it's for the right reasons. ;-)
Patriarch
Very nice work, Nate. Gotta love those dovetails.
I just finished two pointy sticks...they're in the garden now holding up the tomato plants.
Joe_Stein
Nate Perkins wrote:

That reminds me. I need to make some for the cucumbers. Can you send me a link to some plans?
Patriarch